Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olle's website- tuning section

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Olle's website- tuning section Reply with quote

Olle I've been reading over your website as I always find something interesting that I've somehow missed before. I was reading in the section where you talk about the particular order you tune your chanters. I've always used a korg crystal tuner for as long as I can remember. I know the crystal tuners are not 100% but it gets me close to where I want to be and then I can adjust the rest by ear.

Ok on to my question. # 3 and #4 on your "In what order to tune things" section. #3 Check that the top E is right in relation to the A ??? I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. I tune the A to the 440hz and then make sure the E plays right on E at 440hz as well with the tuner, then I do the same with the low E, followed by an by ear tuning of the low E.

What do you mean by shifting?

By interval do you mean the E and A are in tune and all notes inbetween?

I think I know what you mean I just use different terms to explain it. I have many years of experience tuning smallpipes and GHB's ( Low A/High A in tune and tape on all sharp tone holes) and I think some of that has bleed over into my Sackpipa tuning.

Cheers, Seth

P.S. We can all learn a lot from what you have to say.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Olle's website- tuning section Reply with quote

texasbagpiper wrote:
#3 and #4 on your "In what order to tune things" section. #3 Check that the top E is right in relation to the A ??? I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.

I mean that E is a true fifth above the A, i.e. that the interval is right (not necessarily the notes inbetween, though they usually are if the A-E interval is OK).

Quote:
I tune the A to the 440hz and then make sure the E plays right on E at 440hz as well with the tuner, then I do the same with the low E, followed by an by ear tuning of the low E.

440Hz is the frequency of A. E would be 660 or so. Low E half of that. But I usually don't bother about low E until last.

Quote:
#4 When the interval between A and top E is ok, which is what we just did in #3. You then shift the scale so that the A is a true A 440hz.

What do you mean by shifting?

Moving the whole scale (bees-wax on/off or moving bridle). In the previous step I only tuned A to roughly 440Hz.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPs, I meant to say I set my tuner to 440hz and tune the A-key note with the tuner.

Thanks, you cleared up my confusion with my interpretation of what I read.
Cheers, Seth
Tex
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I have been experimenting with tuning my A/E chanter and at around 418 (A on tuning meter) the drone and chanter really seem to come alive. I am not sure how to describe it but, they both sound richer, warmer and seem a little more pleasing to my ear. Has anyone else experimented with this?
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most instruments become more mellow in tone the lower you tune them, since the sound quality is defined by the overtones and you lower those too. But don't you get tuning problems towards the ends of the scale, in particular at the bottom, when tuning the chanter so far off 440? 418Hz is very close to G# (415Hz).
Tex
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have not had any problems with the low hand notes. I have far greater problems when trying to tune to standard 440. Maybe I have reed or chanter problem. Perhaps I should started my last posting with "in my case" .....
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex, are you playing a set you made yourself. If not, what is the make? Cheers, Seth
Tex
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing an erikson set.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: