Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The future of NSAA and the forum

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: The future of NSAA and the forum Reply with quote

I think we should discuss here what we want the NSAA to be and what to do with the forum.

1. If, as was Jerry Revelle's and my intention from the beginning, the NSAA is to be more than just the forum - an association for säckpipa players in America - I think it should reside in, and be run by someone in, America. If so, it is reasonable that that organization also takes over the forum.

2. If, on the other hand, you treat NSAA as just a name of the forum, I don't think it matters as much where that forum resides. It's just a forum, in English, and if it is not as associated to America as originally intended, maybe it should change name. (The forum does indeed have many members from outside USA and Canada.) The name NSAA - Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas - was the result of a discussion and some compromizes within the Norden Folk organization. We are of course no longer bound to that, if Norden Folk no longer hosts the forum.

Your thoughts on this?

Last edited by Olle on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should we call the forum?
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, speaking for myself, a Russian-Hungarian-etc-etc guy, residing in New Zealand, it is a forum in English that I'm interested in. From where I am, it doesn't really make much difference where the forum's physical (ha, ha) center is. I only wish I could read Swedish... to be a member of the Swedish equivalent.
Having said all that, I fully realise that American members can feel rather different about it, and I fully respect that.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion: ISF - International Säckpipa (Swedish bagpipe) Forum

I think "säckpipa" should be explained when the acronym is spellt out like that.

Using the term "international" kind of paves the way for setting up several sub-forums in other languages. Technically that's no problem. I would not be able to moderate those other forums, but if anyone wants to start, and take the role as moderator of, a sub-forum in some other language, I would encourage that and help set things up. A sub-forum in German would probably attract followers, for example. My piping friends in Germany estimates that there could be up to 100 säckpipa players there. (There are at least 15 in Berlin alone.)
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: We have been offered a home at piping.se. In addition, the owner of www.uilleannforum.com and www.gaitaforum.com has also offered us a home, as an additional forum or under it's own domain.

Aside from that, we should consider the name issue (see my previous post).

My main concern is that we are so very few active members right now, that it's difficult to decide on anything.

Please respond and express your opinion if you read this!
Baglady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internationalizing the whole entity...hmmmm...I'm thinking about that.

It's true that there are few actively playing at this moment and because of that we need to maintain and grow some kind of supporting group. I don't know what the vision of the group has been but when you think of how the forum helped in Seth's recent developments of the instrument you've got to believe there's something there that needs to be supported.

So instead of the forum being part of the association maybe associations should develop out of the forum. Instead of trying to include multiple countries in the association, smaller groups should be formed and the international forum in English informing them all.
anima

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am OK with the ISF, and since English tends to be the lingua franca now it seems appropriate.
Black Rose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ELSF: English Language Sackpipa Forum. Still international, host site doesn't matter. Cuts to the root of the forum: Sackpipa discussion from anywhere in the world in English Language.

There is already some discussion on other piping forums about sackpipa, and it's not a bad idea to have a presence there because those forums a clearing houses for bagpipe dabblers who can be recruited and swayed over to the dark side...

Since www.uilleannforum.com is one of the few I've never been kicked off or banned from joining I'd highly recommend it.
Baglady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ELSF
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: