Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Musical Milkmaids of Minnesota

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baglady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Musical Milkmaids of Minnesota Reply with quote

How do you like that? I just came up with it.

Anyway...

Our city has a Norwegian historical farm and I'm going to volunteer there as a Norwegian cousin and tell the story of Annie Larson and Bertha Skifstrom and the Milkmaid culture in Norway...OK then...and Sweden too.

This should be fun.
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Saetre Jenta or Fabod Stinta Reply with quote

A great topic to spread the word about. Any of we Nordics have one or two in our family history (unless your last name is Bernadotte).

At my book signings (Vallkulla) I help the majority female audience connect with this summer farm tradition by telling them these girls (from age 13 and up) were the Heidi's of Scandinavia.

Everyone has read Heidi...well, the girls anyway.
Baglady

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should look into your book to get some material?
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Vallkullor Reply with quote

To save money check out your local library, or inter-library loan.
Baglady

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finishing up our bunader and running through some tunes for the gig on Saturday. It should be fun. We mostly just wander around and play some tunes and tell some stories...oh, and we have a couple of dances for the kids. We are also going to make butter to bagpipe music. Fun huh?
Baglady

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had fun at the farm even though it was rainy. My daughter has decided it's our fault that it rains every time we play an outdoor event. We played to help the kids shake their cream into butter which was very successful.

One of the other presenters was a retired dancer and he said "Most of what you play we've danced to." and I said "Well it is dance music."

We went down to the pens to check out the animal's reactions. They came to check me out as long as no one was offering corn. One of the goats was especially interested. He stuck his head through the fence and seemed to enjoy my rendition of The Lost Sheep. The cow was mildly interested. The sheep weren't interested at all.

We had a good day even with the rain and we were asked to do 3 more gigs. Now I need to learn more tunes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: