Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baglady heads to Nisswa

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baglady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Baglady heads to Nisswa Reply with quote

I'm heading out for Nisswa soon. I plan to play in the parade Saturday morning with my daughter playing hardingfele and then hang around the festival grounds and jam wherever I can. I'm going to collect tunes to learn too. My play list is:

Kom Skall vi Klippe Sauen
Kjeringa Med Staven
Leken Hass Steffa Henningsgard Pols
Lugaren
Steklat fran Sarna
Den Bartkomne Sauen
Vals efter Vardags Magnus
Vals Fran Enviken
Langdans fran Solleron

And I hope I get to talk to Jerry's friend. I'm interested in what she can tell me about Minnesota's lady bagpipers.
Baglady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good time in Nisswa. There will be one and maybe two or three people looking for pipes from Seth and one woman will be looking for information on pipers from Dalarna in her family along with starting to play herself. We marched (or ambled) in the musician's parade in the morning and onto the grounds so I didn't have anything but my pipes with me and I couldn't take names or give cards or anything. I hope people are able to contact us through the websites I gave them. I gave everybody your names Seth and Olle so you may get some questions.

A couple of things we will need to do next are:

1. Set up a regular meeting of the Minnesota branch of NSAA to get interested beginners started.

2. Next year at Nisswa we need to set up an area like the Nyckelharpa club and have signs, a sign up for information, and hands on demonstration instruments.

3. We need to organize a side workshop if we can't get the festival to let us in to their schedule to bring in those that heard us this year.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear!

As for reachability I often forget to bring cards and such, but it's usually not a problem as long as the interested person have Internet access. If you Google Swedish bagpipes, the top three links are most likely the Wikipedia page on the subject, Seth's page and my page, in some order. My name is unique, so I'm also easily found by googling that, but Swedish bagpipes is easier to remember than the spelling of my name.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great. Dang Fern, you know more tunes than I do. I play so many instruments that I never have time to learn more than about 8-10 tunes per instrument. I should probably devote more time to the Sackpipa since its my main instrument and now that I'm messing with the Czech Dudy, I'm looking at another instrument in the collection. I hope to get around to more of these events in the near future. Now that I make pipes full-time and I've graduated from college I now have more time to travel. Seth
Black Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made history that day. First, we played sackpipa at Nisswa for the first time. We also played sackpipa with a hardingfele in public for the first time probably ever. We also played Norwegian tunes on Swedish pipes along with the Norwegian national instrument, which added to the mix. More importantly, we frightened the hardingfelelag away, who kept running ahead of us in the parade and waving and scowling back at us to keep us away.

Now, we voluntarily waited to go last so we could hang behind and stay out of the way of the weaker instruments, but we found ourselves arguing for the rear position with the button box and accordion players who were used to doing the same thing. It seems they fancied themselves the most disruptive and brazen instruments at the gathering, and they insisted they always went last. In fact, they hung so far behind they essentially had their own parade, and the hardingfelelag ran so far ahead of us, that we had our own parade in the empty stretch in the middle.

We found a spot in no-man's land on the field under a nice group of trees and played on and off, then we were set up to pose for some video behind a cabin that was occupied by a couple of fiddlers and protected by an angry viking who stormed out and shook a large spear at us--but we finished the recording anyway. Once again, the bagpipes are universally feared and despised by "normal" musicians in Scandinavian culture--like all others I've encountered so far.

I felt I did my duty as a piper. No gathering would be a complete success without somebody complaining about the piper or pipers.

And Alban Faust tells me he's just hanging a key on my G/D chanter so I'll even be able to play with the "normal" musicians soon.

The pipes went 20 cents sharp in the high heat as usual for pipes, and we made our fiddler re-tune. I've decided to put the Hamon chanter reed in for a bit more pitch stability and tuning consistency, but other than that the instrument seemed to be quite cooperative and tuneful all day.
Baglady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're saying Seth. It's hard to maintain a large playlist on multiple instruments. I just try to keep up a few tunes to demonstrate on instruments I'm not infatuated with at the moment. I'm mostly gig driven. I learn what I need for the next gig. I guess it comes from competing and the need to get the competition tunes ready to win. Or it might be my theatrical background where you learned your lines and blocking for each show as they come up.

Maybe next year you can come to Nisswa and we can have a workshop.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: