Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing is fun, recording is not.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Playing is fun, recording is not. Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else, but it seems like I can't play a tune all the way through when I know I'm being recorded. Tunes that I can usually play flawlessly suddenly seem foreign, and little things that only I would notice seem to stop me cold. It's really frustrating.

I recorded three tunes to upload this weekend, and wouldn't you know, I breezed through all three - in one take. No problems at all.

I've got a tascam portastudio that uses its own native file format. I have to export the track to .wav before I can load it to my computer. I hit the button and waited...and waited, and waited. I didn't want to mess with it and loose everything I recorded so I let it go for a while. When I returned, the batteries had died. When I started back up, everything I recorded was gone.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss recording with tape.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this and giggle in sympathy with you...

Yeah, I know, it's sick.
If a friend would hit his toes so they nearly breaks, I would sit and feel his pain and laugh out load. And it is not in any way because I am happy over his pain, not at all.
It's very strange, it is

Sorry, I would really liked to hear you play those tunes...
Baglady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pressing he unlike button in sympathy...Oh...wait...
Black Rose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Playing is fun, recording is not. Reply with quote

Aaron K. Holt wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but it seems like I can't play a tune all the way through when I know I'm being recorded. Tunes that I can usually play flawlessly suddenly seem foreign, and little things that only I would notice seem to stop me cold. It's really frustrating.

I recorded three tunes to upload this weekend, and wouldn't you know, I breezed through all three - in one take. No problems at all.

I've got a tascam portastudio that uses its own native file format. I have to export the track to .wav before I can load it to my computer. I hit the button and waited...and waited, and waited. I didn't want to mess with it and loose everything I recorded so I let it go for a while. When I returned, the batteries had died. When I started back up, everything I recorded was gone.

That's "Murphy's Law." Whatever can go wrong, will. If you play through brilliantly then you can be assured the recording with be technically flawed in some way. Usually by somebody farting or belching during the most brilliant moment. Or a passing train or something. Or in your case not hitting the "save" command after recording or closing the track or whatever is required to write the directory of the file and preserve it. In the case of tape, it means there will be a dropout right in the most brilliant part of the piece, or a pop or the tape will actually break.

But just wait till you get four or five people in front of microphones and the clock is running on expensive studio time and then you have to spit out a brilliant performance--and every mistake costs you.

And of course, there's Lerwick's Law: Even if it can't possibly go wrong, it will anyway.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing is fun, recording is not. Reply with quote

Black Rose wrote:
Aaron K. Holt wrote:

That's "Murphy's Law." Whatever can go wrong, will. If you play through brilliantly then you can be assured the recording with be technically flawed in some way. Usually by somebody farting or belching during the most brilliant moment.

And of course, there's Lerwick's Law: Even if it can't possibly go wrong, it will anyway.

Some more, maybe a bit technical, about Murphy's Law, not Muphry's Law (look it up in Wikipedia)
http://jcdverha.home.xs4all.nl/scijokes/9_6.html#subindex
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/M/Murphys-Law.html
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/F/Finagles-Law.html
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/H/Hanlons-Razor.html
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/N/Ninety-Ninety-Rule.html
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: