Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next Year -- Nisswastämman?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Next Year -- Nisswastämman? Reply with quote

Here is a link to one of many performances I play (violin) with. Nisswa-stämman is the largest Nordic festival of its kind in North America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d91ou4COSeA

Pipers have never been represented in the 11 year history of Nisswa-stämman . Why not next June? The duos of Olle and Wes/Olle and Aaron from last March are a fine examples of what could be done. There could be a workshop during the preceding week.

A synopsis of last year's (non-piper) performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K856n-Wsa5E&feature=related

(corrected date from July to June for Nisswa-stämman)--grr

Last edited by jerry revelle on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baglady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get the chance to say 'Hi' but enjoyed the day. My grandson loved making a butter knife. I'd love to play my new pipes with a group next year. I couldn't get away from the grandkids to check out any jamming going on.
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Nisswa Reply with quote

Hi Nan,

Sorry I didn't have time to visit. It was a busy time for a while in the children's area. I was finally able to get around and visit with friends, new and old and do some filming. Our ASI Spelmanslag had only one performance in the park, but jammed all three evenings and played one performance. None of these count the two allspels and the march through the village to Pioneer Village Park.

Workshops filled much of the week with instructors/performers from California, Norway, Denmark and several from Finland.

I can't think of a better place for a Nordic piping venue where one can become totally immersed in the music and traditions. Plenty of encouragement to do workshops during the previous week.

P.S. The fishing in Northern Minnesota is outstanding!
Black Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: More in-depth video documentary of 2011 Nisswa-stamman Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rwub1hEaiA

Better late than never. A short review of the festival this year.
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Nisswa-stämman, 2011 Reply with quote

Very well done. I haven't had time to gather the video footage I shot yet.
Jerry
Baglady

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jerry
Any progress made on a pipers' workshop this spring? You now have 2 pipers in Minnesota.
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Spring workshop Reply with quote

I have not given a spring workshop much consideration. I thought a workshop at Nisswa might be more appropriate as many of the attendees have never heard a säckpipa. We could possibly pick up some more NEW pipers in the USA from that. Workshops are normal there, for all sorts of instruments and take place in the days before the weekend event.

I, for one, who purchased Seth's pipes, have been unable to get any sort of scale out of them. The tape doesn't seem to work and after moving it a couple of times, it no longer sticks. I need to get with an experienced piper to set them up and get some basic instruction.

I was thinking of having a small meeting in Minneapolis of some locals to do that, or we could do at here at the red house. Plenty of room and just completing a wood baking oven/small fireplace in the dining room. Would need sleeping bags.
Baglady

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pipers' meeting would be fun. Royce and I could help with beginner kind of stuff. He is a wiz at making pipes sound good.

A workshop in Nisswa could be another thing. What do we need to do to make this happen? Could we invite a band to come over and perform and also do workshops? Would we need to find sponsors for that?
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: It's next year already Reply with quote

The Nisswa Stämma entertainment lineup is beginning to roll out, though the teaching workshops aren't yet disclosed.

http://www.nisswastamman.org/

I don't expect we will find a säckpipa group showing up, so, unless the (North American) pipers set one up somewhere in the Nisswa Minnesota area a day or so before the weekend, it probably will not happen.

Norden Folk can do this if enough of you wish to attend and participate in the workshop.

Admission to the stämma is free for musicians, as in Norden (Scandinavia).

So what about it? Should we bring this relatively new instrument out for everyone to hear?

For your information, the town of Nisswa is about 2 hours drive north of the Twin Cities of St. Paul -- Minneapolis.

Because it is a tourist area, summer housing might be scarce, but the nearby city of Brainard should have availability. I stay at the Days Inn in Nisswa for about US$ 75/day with continental breakfast. If you plan to attend, plan to remain through mid-day Sunday to get in on the fabulous musicians brunch provided locally (on the lake). Camping is available.
Baglady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We attended for the first time last year. I splashed out and stayed at a resort with the grandkids. It was fun but cold that time of year.

Maybe just a pipers' meeting of some kind? A moot or motet or something. We could just get together and swap tunes and tips.

So musicians get in free? Could we have a pipers' jam on the grounds or something?
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Nisswa Reply with quote

Yes, piper's jams are permissible along with fiddles, dragspelor, nyckelharpor, etc.

I would think a workshop would draw more novices and wanna-bee pipers, though.
Baglady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get an instructor?
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Instructor at Nisswa Reply with quote

Yes to having an instructor. Olle and I discussed it somewhat, but I doubt it will be Olle unless he attends on his own. We would probably ask someone else.

I might suggest the goals should be similar to the workshop in Minneapolis from last year:

First, to attract novice pipers and help students with their pipes.

Second, to help novice pipers who are already playing.

Third, to offer an open forum on the Saturday where all pipers could get together to play together and/or with other musicians and generally, demonstrate this very old Nordic instrument which has never received enough attention in the Nordic music community.
Basically, establish our presence in the North American music community.

Given last year's poor response from interested beginners (we had few), item number one (above) still might not be possible. Perhaps only items number two and three will take place.
Baglady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In bagpipe circles goal #1 is easier after goal #3. We get more people interested in taking them up after they have seen a demonstration. But for our purposes the workshops would have to come before the demo.

The truth of it is that you're lucky if you get a handful of people interested but you usually get one, or two if your really lucky, that actually become pipers.

So do we need a show of hands as to how many members here could come to Nisswa in June?

There's a nice AmericInn in Pequot Lakes that has conference rooms I think or is there someone who can host the workshop in the area?
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Nisswa Workshop June 2012? Reply with quote

Based upon our experience from the Minneapolis workshops last year (this time) you are correct.

I believe we would have to draw experienced American pipers and if lucky, some from other countries.

As for beginners, I guess we could do our usual web posting and emailing and see who turns up, interested.

We could query the locals about a workshop at someone's summer home. There are plenty of folks interested in Nordic culture and someone might be kind (until they heard the first note).

Perhaps it time to poll the subscribers?
Baglady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we post a poll or something?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: