Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Redeeming a weak reed

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Redeeming a weak reed Reply with quote

I did something today that I read about on Olle's site years ago but never tried for some reason. I put some clear nail polish on a reed that I had scraped too much. It worked out pretty well!
The reed retained it's sound (which I was already very happy with) but it doesn't lock up like it used to. It's still not a *great* reed, but it's quite a bit better than it was. It's also a lot more resistant to moisture than it was before - the nail polish seems to have impregnated the fibers of cane.

I never tried this before because I was worried that it would ruin the reed. But in this case, the reed was so weak that I could hardly use it anyway, so I thought I should give it a shot. I'm curious to see how long the effect lasts. I may have to apply another coat after a while.

One added bonus - the lowest notes in the scale (e, d, c) are a little stronger now, so the overall volume of the chanter is more uniform. I can also press the bottom of the chanter to my leg and get an extra note (b) which I couldn't do before.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: