Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visit America July2007-meet/play Swedish music Nisswastamman

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Visit America July2007-meet/play Swedish music Nisswastamman Reply with quote

This invitation may be a bit premature, but I would like to invite sackpipa players to come to Wisconsin in the planning to visit and play at Nisswastamman, in northern Minnesota...http://www.nisswastamman.org/

We have a large house, though it is still in construction stages and can bed and feed several persons on sleeping palltets/sleeping bags. We have many musician friends in Wisconsin-Minnesota who will be happy to do the same.

I think the sackpipers could be the hit of the stemma. To pull it off, players who plan to come would have to rehearse the same group of tunes in order to be able to play together after arrival (Olle...help us out here).

Since the stemma is held in an open air park, there is always buskspelning happening. I don't know that we could get a gig on any of the stages, without having a better plan than we do at this point, and would also have to ask in advance (it may already be too late).

The week following Nisswastamman, is the Midsommar celebration at the American Swedish Institute in Minneapolis. There is also playing and networking happening there.

Let's hear from you...especailly everyone across the Atlantic & Pacific. I know it's a big trip for you, but you'll meet and be among friends you've only seen by avitar, before.

Jerry

Last edited by jerry revelle on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To pull it off, players who plan to come would have to rehearse the same group of tunes in order to be able to play together after arrival (Olle...help us out here).

I can't help you there, at the stamma, I'm afraid. What did you have in mind? Tune suggestions? Look at the beginner friendly tunes at http://user.it.uu.se/~crwth/bagpipes/swedish/beginnertunes.html. The first two and the last one in particular. I can provide you with lyrics to "Visa från Venjan" and "Jag blåste i min pipa", if you wish. (I would love to hear you all sing them in Swedish! :-)
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: What I had in mind....? Reply with quote

Well...I'd hoped several brave pipers would decide to come for a week or so. They (since I don't pipe, yet) would have to agree on a group of tunes to play for the audience and practice them in advance. Maybe the stronger of them would make a CD and send it to everyone so they're all practicing the same timing. It would be a great introduction to what I know the sackpipa players will someday do in the American Nordic community. Wow Them!
WeeNooke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hoping to go to Nisswastamma for a few years now. It's a long way from everywhere! And we usually have a gig here in Chicago that weekend.

Last year one of our lag members went and came home all excited about going next (this) year. She also brought home some great tunes.

If we were to meet as a group of pipers, maybe I could get some help with my reed issues! (maybe I'll take time to figure it out by then).
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting to get a better idea of what I'm going to be doing that time of the year. I've got a lot of things to plan around, but I hope to make it.
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Music Events-Nisswastamman and Beaver Creek Reply with quote

We hope to see you there, Tim and Aaron. It will be the first time most of the attending visitors and musicians have ever heard a Svenska sackpipa and it should be great to see the crowd reaction. It would be nice if enough players came to help each other with tunes/reeds.

I know it's short notice, Tim, but if you're hanging out this weekend, we have some folks coming up from the Chicago Spelmanslag and the ASI Spelmanslag to participate with us this weekend at the Scandinavian Retreat (see Beaver Creek on www.nordenfolk.org). There will be buskspelning, inside the lodge, of course and lots of activities, inside and out.

Norden Folk's Spelmanslag and "guests" will play for the dance on Saturday night (17th Feb.).

There's room on the floor at our house, if you bring a sleeping bag and plenty to eat (editing this later, we mean that Laurie and I have plenty of food so just bring your sleeping bag).
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Nisswa Stamman Schedule Reply with quote

Look at the Norden Folk Forum (front page) where there's now the first release of the schedule for Nisswa Stamman weekend, including events, musicians and workshops.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: