Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bag material.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisteul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Bag material. Reply with quote

Hi everybody, here is my first post and I hope it won't be my last ! I'm french, so excuse me if my english sometime is bad Very Happy

I'm looking for building a sackpipa, a friend helping me for making all wood parts, and after I found all the informations I needed, I'd like to know more about the bag: I wonder if leather is the only material you can use in order to make it, or can I use other materials ?

Thanks for your answers,
Jordan.
Tex
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have made one bag for my sackpipa out of outdoor vinyl material. I traced the outline of the bag and than glued the bag together. It seems to work well though I found the material is stiff and there is less room for air. If you where to make your bag out of vinyl I would recommend you make the bag much lager to allow it to hold more air. I don't think it looks all that great (the material I used was grey) and it is very slippery. All these problems can be overcome easily if some one really wanted to.
Whisteul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw about vinyl before, but I can't find the outdoor type Confused
Well, where can I find that ? Isn't it other matierals avalaible ?
Frédéric Vigouroux

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS it really worth to do the bag ?
I mean, You surely could buy one that fit to you from a pipe maker, already saisoned aso.
(well, i'm planning to make one - or buy one- for my 7 years old son, because size matter)
Whisteul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only found Boris Favre and Seth Hamon for selling single sackpipa's bag.

Then, as I'm trying to build by myself a bagpipe (I hope I won't be the last) I think I should be good if I should make the bag by myself... Wink And I don't want to waste leather during my bag building tests... Confused So I was searching for an less expensive material to begin. I saw that there also was nylon bag, I thinking to Andreas Rogge a german uillean pipes' builder... Those bags don't need seasoning.
Idoheby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas makes nylon bags? Shocked Shocked
Are there any photos in the net?
Tex
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my outdoor vinyl at a local cloth shop. I paid 6.49 for a yard and one half which I made two bags from. The idea of using nylon sounds like a better idea if can be made air tight. Like I said above I found the bags I made too stiff, they hold too little air and they are very slippery but, they are easy to make and cheap.
Whisteul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idoheby wrote:
Andreas makes nylon bags? Shocked Shocked
Are there any photos in the net?

Yes, they are for basics uilleann practises set, a friend of mine has one... I'm looking for pictures, if I can found it, I will post a link.
JNelson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a conventional bag using fine upholstery leather and a vinyl bag for small pipes. the pipes I am working on now are with a raccoon pelt.

many original bagpipes were made with whole animal pelts. it might be cheeper to find a medium sized animal pelt online than to buy a large hunk of leather and try to cut it all up.

also if you buy a tube skinned or case skinned pelt, there is only one hole to sew up. saves a lot of time sewing. my first leather bag was made from several pieces of leather and it took me three days to stitch up.

an animal pelt does have a few interesting issues surrounding it's use as a bag but you can see some of these int the other disscussion about bags on this forum.
JP WNC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisteul,

Perhaps this link will help if you decide to make a vinyl bag. The material doesn't need to be any kind of special vinyl except that "fluff" backing is not good.

http://www3.telus.net/ereiswig/ssp_make.htm

Just get some dimensions and size appropriately for a sackpipa.
Whisteul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, but I already knew it Wink

I found some leather, but the parts are too small if I refer to the plan on Boris Fabre's site... There are two parts of 9"x28" and two parts of 15x11".
Can I do something with those parts, or do I have to find bigger parts ?
favrepipes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, the bag should be made from a larger, single piece of leather which is then folded over. This way the seam only runs along the bottom-most length of the bag. This minimizes the area that is to be stitched and reduces the chances of any leaks. It will also be problematic to fit the mouthpiece in the right place if the seam runs all the way along the top. I strongly recommend starting with a minimum 22 x 24" piece if you are planning to follow my template. You'll need about 19 x 23 if you copy Ericksson's design. Good luck with your project!
Bo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: