Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wood finishes for Sackpipa?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chad_fross

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: wood finishes for Sackpipa? Reply with quote

I just completed my first two "real" Sackpipa chanters. One from Purple Heart wood, and the other from Bocote. They are ready to be finished. I am wondering what any of you makers out there use for finishes? I want a nice protective finish that will not let oil from fingers stain the wood, but not such a "powerful" finish that it looks like a coat of glass on the pipes. I was thinking of using a few coats of Tung Oil with a light steel wool in between coats. Just enough coats to protect the outer surface.
Ok group, what say you?
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally finish all my instruments using what makers have been using all the way up to the 19th century. And that is putting everything (except the reeds) into a linseed oil bath for a couple of days. The oil bath is made about 50-50 rawlinseed oil/turpentine. The raw is very important. Boiled linseed oil will form a ghastly hard film on the surface of the wood, and is impossible to get rid of. The turpentine simply makes sure the oil penetrates, rather than sitting on the top. If you do that, when pulling out the wood from the bath, give it a complete wipedown inside and out, and repeat it a few times a few minutes apart, as it will tend to ooze oil out of the pores for some minutes, at least with the more dense woods.
Other oils are arguably better, but this is arguable, and the cost difference is more or less prohibitive. (but in case you just won lotto, almond and walnut are recommended)
chad_fross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: thanks:D Reply with quote

Thanks Yuri for the info.........as soon as I can find some raw linseed oil here in korea, I will be doing that
Chad
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very carefull though with this mixture. It could self ignite if used in wrong way (not when used on solid wood, like a chanter, though).
Always put all paper and cloth used with this in a metal can or other place where it doesn't matter.
(Or have I missunderstood something again Rolling Eyes )
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha's perfectly correct. I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to warn you, it's just that I worked with it for so long, I don't think of it . I always throw the oil-soaked rags into the fireplace, if it self-ignites before the next fire is made, it doesn't matter. By the way, it's not just linseed oil, any non-drying oil will do that. And don't use plastic containers for the bath, as they will slowly dissolve under the pressure of the turpentine. Metal is the only workable stuff. But if you are only doing the one, you can simply fill a plastic bag with just enough to cover all the wood, and then, when all is finished, just get rid of what remains, together with the bag.
The drying will take half a day or so, until you can sort of use it, but ideally leave it for a couple of days to dry. The smell will be gone in about a couple of weeks.
chad_fross

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: thanks gentlemen Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen for the heads up.........how bad is the smell? the only real place I have in the appartment to leave it sit for a few days is in the laundry/veranda area.......it's the only place that nobody frequently goes, and can be ventilated properly. Thanks again for the warning.....................and I promise, when I get this set completed, I'll be posting pictures:D
Chad
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sort of (surprise, surprise) turpentiney smell, tempered with linseed oily one. I personally don't find it unpleasant, but my girlfriend does. Then, of course, I have known people like stuff like Chanel number whatever, which is something I can't stand.
Nah, it really isn't too bad. Just don't climb in for a bath yourself.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: