Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D/G Chanter Plans

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: D/G Chanter Plans Reply with quote

Does anyone have plans for a D/G chanter or a D/G chanter that you can measure to give approximate's from. I'm planing on making D/G chanters and if I have to I'll do it the hard way and make a bunch of prototypes. Its just easier as some of you know to have at least a basic area to start from.

Olle do you know the standard scale/tone hole notes of a basic D/G chanter.

Thanks, Seth

Last edited by texasbagpiper on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
bagpiperjohn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seth,

I have one made by Eriksson. In the next few days I'll try to trace mine and add some measurements to the figure. I'll scan it and try to figure out how to insert the figure onto this site.

cheers,
John Razz
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagpiperjohn wrote:
Hi Seth,

I have one made by Eriksson. In the next few days I'll try to trace mine and add some measurements to the figure. I'll scan it and try to figure out how to insert the figure onto this site.

cheers,
John Razz

Sounds good, thats where I got my first measurements from but I changed it up to what worked best for me..
bagpiperjohn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: D/G chanter plans Reply with quote

I have plans for an Eriksson D/G chanter but unfortunately I can not post the image on this site since it is not located on a publically available web site. I can email you the image if you send me your email address. However I can list out the basic dimensions.

Total Length: 255mm
Bore Diameter: 6.5mm
Reed End Diameter: 13mm
Sound End Diameter: 24mm

Finger Hole Measurements: The first measurement is bore diameter and second is distance of center of the hole to the reed end of the chanter.

Left Hand Thumb (Underside): 5mm/45mm
Left Hand Fore Finger: 4mm/71mm
Left Hand Middle Finger (Two Holes): 3mm/89mm (offset) and 4mm/95mm
Left Hand Ring Finger: 5mm/112mm
Right Hand Fore Finger: 5mm/144mm
Right Hand Middle Finger: 5mm/163mm
Right Hand Ring Finger: 4mm/189mm
Right Hand Pinkie (tuning hole - offset): 4mm/214.5mm

I hope this helps,
John
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: D/G chanter plans Reply with quote

bagpiperjohn wrote:
I have plans for an Eriksson D/G chanter but unfortunately I can not post the image on this site since it is not located on a publically available web site. I can email you the image if you send me your email address. However I can list out the basic dimensions.

Total Length: 255mm
Bore Diameter: 6.5mm
Reed End Diameter: 13mm
Sound End Diameter: 24mm

Finger Hole Measurements: The first measurement is bore diameter and second is distance of center of the hole to the reed end of the chanter.

Left Hand Thumb (Underside): 5mm/45mm
Left Hand Fore Finger: 4mm/71mm
Left Hand Middle Finger (Two Holes): 3mm/89mm (offset) and 4mm/95mm
Left Hand Ring Finger: 5mm/112mm
Right Hand Fore Finger: 5mm/144mm
Right Hand Middle Finger: 5mm/163mm
Right Hand Ring Finger: 4mm/189mm
Right Hand Pinkie (tuning hole - offset): 4mm/214.5mm

I hope this helps,
John

Here's John's scan..
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the bore would be the same as the A/E chanter, Which is approx 6mm or 15/64", Looks like the D/G is around 6.5mm or a hair larger than 1/4" Olle can you comment on that...
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have D/G-chanters by Alban Faust. I think the diameter is 7mm, except at the very top, where the reed seat is 6mm to make it possible to use the same reed material as for E/A chanters.

So, that the D/G chanter by Eriksson has a wider bore than the E/A chanter is no surprise to me.
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Bore diameter Reply with quote

I also have a G/D chanter made by Alban. With mine, he inserted a small length of brass tube at the reed seat, I suppose to narrow the bore there, but I'm not entirely sure why he decided to use brass tube to do it. Could there be other reasons for this?
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to drill a 7mm hole straight through and then narrow the top by inserting a copper tube there, than to drill in two steps. I think the only reason for narrowing the top is to be able to use 6mm cane.
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have measurements for a low D or E drone (one octave below the chanter's low d), and measurements for the reed needed with this?

I know a handful of tunes that would sound good with a lower-drone, but I'm not sure if I can lengthen my existing drone (by adding a straw or a left over cane segment to the end) or if I should just think about getting a secondary drone some day.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiment with telescopic brass tubing to get the right length. Once you get the right length make a wooden proto-type. You can get all sizes from Hobbytownusa...
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, So far I've had a chance to make one prototype from the plans John made up... It's weird though It is playing almost the same as the E/A chanter Thumb note is Eb and bottom note is Eb as well. I may make a few different reeds and see what I get. Otherwise I'm going to work on making a bunch of D/G prototypes with a 6mm bore.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for 7mm. It's just a guess, but I think 6mm would lead to too great impedance for a single reed, when you play the lower notes.
favrepipes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started making a D/G chanter based on the Eriksson scan shown above. I'll post some feedback and a picture once it's finished.

I do have a question about the B note at the 89mm mark - is it drilled at an angle so that the tonehole leans toward the reed end as it enters into the bore, or does the 89mm point remain the same both on the outside and inside the bore? Does anyone else have a chanter of the same design with the extra C# hole and if so, what is the hole diameter and placement?

Olle, I am trying to make a fully loaded D/G chanter with all the extensions and I'd like to add a top key like on the chanter that you have posted on your site on the "extensions" page. Can you tell me what the diameter and placement for that keyed tonehole is? I assume that this particular chanter has a 7mm bore?

Thanks much!
Boris
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My B/Bb double holes are drilled at an angle towards the center but not towards the top. In other words, it is the same measure on the inside. My B hole is slighly bigger than the Bb hole.

The measures for all my finger holes differ a lot from the ones above for the Eriksson chanter. So I don't think the measure for my high E hole (under the key) would tell you that much. It is 32mm though, which is about halfway to the thumb hole (60mm). It's diameter is difficult to measure without removing the key (which I will not do) but it looks like 4.5mm or 5mm if I peek under the key.
favrepipes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed a D/G set (not yet assembled) and got the chanter to play at the correct pitch using a piece of cane 6.75-7 mm OD. It isn't as sweet sounding as my A/E chanter, rather more buzzy, so I'll experiment a little more. Olle, what alterations do you usually make to D/G chanters?
Bo
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alterations of the reeds you mean?

Well, the diameter is the same in my case, since I have a short piece of copper tubing with 6mm inner diameter in the reed seat. If I cut a new reed and intend it to play in a G-chanter I add 1mm or so to the tongue length, but this is not crucial. Usually, any A-reed can be adjusted by normal tuning methods to fit a G-chanter and vice versa. Actually, I store all finished but not yet fine tuned reeds in the same box - I don't bother separating them until I fine tune them to a particular chanter.

Olle
pipercozza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,
yesterday i made my first D/G chanter (havent finished it yet). aestheticly it looks great. however ive got some questions? it plays spot on in G-D on the bottom hand and up to A then the next 2 notes are very odd. the very top note is fine. are the meausrements of the note locations correct on the scan? all the scallops are made to 3mm above the bore and the outer diameters are exact to the scan too. i made 3 reeds last night and had the same problem with all. i think my D bit is just a hair under 6.5mm. otherwise it has a nice tone, but with the offset hole open its playing B rather than B# (i think thats the note) and the next hole up tends to want to play B# rather than C. how deep are the scallops on the eriksson chanter in the scan? to get my notes into pitch ide need to deepen the scallops a lot but that would look and feel a little awkward?
if someone will tell me how ill post a piccy.
cheers
cory
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipercozza wrote:
hi all,
yesterday i made my first D/G chanter (havent finished it yet). aestheticly it looks great. however ive got some questions? it plays spot on in G-D on the bottom hand and up to A then the next 2 notes are very odd. the very top note is fine. are the meausrements of the note locations correct on the scan? all the scallops are made to 3mm above the bore and the outer diameters are exact to the scan too. i made 3 reeds last night and had the same problem with all. i think my D bit is just a hair under 6.5mm. otherwise it has a nice tone, but with the offset hole open its playing B rather than B# (i think thats the note) and the next hole up tends to want to play B# rather than C. how deep are the scallops on the eriksson chanter in the scan? to get my notes into pitch ide need to deepen the scallops a lot but that would look and feel a little awkward?
if someone will tell me how ill post a piccy.
cheers
cory

I'd try to open up the bore a little.. Closer to 7mm but do it a little at a time... Seth
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: