Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pictures of your pipes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anima

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Pictures of your pipes Reply with quote

This seems to be a popular thread on other bagpipe forums so I thought I'd start one here:

I don't have a Sackpipa yet (but I am starting to whine to my wife about wanting one) Twisted Evil Here are my other pipes in the meantime.....

Uilleann Pipes: Drones/Regs - cocobolo and brass, drone stock - cherry, chanter - mopane/boxwood (made by Kirk Lynch)

Gaita Galega: cocobola/boxwood (made by Patricia Cela)

Jeff
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent topic suggestion! It is sticky now.

My two mouthblown Swedish bagpipes, in heart formation. Both in E/A by Alban Faust. The one on the left is younger and the one I currently play. Cherry wood and rings in bubinga, I think. The older set to the right is in plum.

My bellows blown Swedish bagpipe, by Alban Faust. Mazur birch, reindeer horn and bubinga. Three drones and two chanters in D/G (in the bag) and E/A (on the side).
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the E/A set I play. I made it from Mopane and Indian ebony.

anima

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Seth, my uilleann chanter is mopane too, but it looks more like the color of cocobolo now. Is the shade of mopane variable?
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anima wrote:
Interesting Seth, my uilleann chanter is mopane too, but it looks more like the color of cocobolo now. Is the shade of mopane variable?

I'm not sure because this is the first time I've used mopane. Kirk may use a different type of finish or oil that causes it to be so dark. I buff with wax only. Seth
anima

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice Seth. Very Happy
Högfeldt

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of pipes i've made Smile

Smile Smile
anima

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, very thin, a different aesthetic. Very Happy
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesquite D/G bellows-blown set with high key by Boris Favre:

Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
I think I may have just discovered the reasoning behind your post about finding better tuning bands. Those double holes are closer together than any I've seen before. I'll bet you can get a nice and smooth glissando from A to B when playing in a major scale. But like I said, I see your dilemma now. It looks like you would have a hard time using a rubber ring to cover your B-nat without affecting the tuning of the B-flat.

Try looking into some silicone stoppers like the ones discussed elsewhere on the forum (under the topic "Fine tuning the chanter"). You may find that you are happier using something like that rather than a band.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron K. Holt wrote:
Matt,
I think I may have just discovered the reasoning behind your post about finding better tuning bands. Those double holes are closer together than any I've seen before. I'll bet you can get a nice and smooth glissando from A to B when playing in a major scale. But like I said, I see your dilemma now. It looks like you would have a hard time using a rubber ring to cover your B-nat without affecting the tuning of the B-flat.

Try looking into some silicone stoppers like the ones discussed elsewhere on the forum (under the topic "Fine tuning the chanter"). You may find that you are happier using something like that rather than a band.

I was thinking the same thing, before I read your post. He could also take a hold punch or sissors and snip a half section out of the flat band so it will leave the bottom hole open while closing the top hole. Just position the cut section of the band over the bottom hole. Doesn't look like it would need much. Does that make sense? I can draw a diagram. Seth
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron K. Holt wrote:
Matt,

I did actually write Boris about the closeness placement, but rather than me try to explain it I'll leave it to him. The closeness doesn't bother me as much on the left-middle-finger hole, since I play the top one straight and the bottom by "half-holing" the scallop. However on the left-index hole it's bothersome since I rarely use the upper hole, so am always trying to nudge the band to make sure it's sitting right.

I also need a better tuning band material for my tuning hole (right-pinky). It's just loose enough that it occasionally slips when I hit that hole for a C#.

Stoppers would be pretty cool actually; anyone have any input on how best to make them?
favrepipes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who makes pipes for different people there is always varying feedback and special requests to take into consideration. The double holes on swedish chanters are sometimes a problem for players with small or slim fingers where they find it difficult to seal both holes during play. Narrowing the gap and placing the holes at less of an angle is the obvious solution but it does make it more difficult to use rubber rings. It's a case of accommodating one thing at the cost of another.

Some other positive aspects of the closer holes is that it allows the player to lightly roll the finger and slide up to the next note without compromising the seal at the ring finger which can be a nice effect. It also places the left wrist square with the chanter which I find a little more comfortable.

I'm glad that this observation came up and I'll be sure to check with the customer from now on to see what their preference is.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewVanitas wrote:

Stoppers would be pretty cool actually; anyone have any input on how best to make them?

If I remember correctly how they descirbed it last time I read about it.
I think they used silicone sealant or rubber and used the hole of the pipe as a mold.

They just put some grease that the silicone sealant wont stick to in the pipe hole. They used something called vaselin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly), but any grease that is easy to apply thin, remove and which silicone sealant will not stick to would do, I guess. It has to be spread thin in the hole (mold).

Then fill the greased hole with silicone sealant, wait for it to dry and then remove it. You could put some kinde of thread in it before it dry, so you have something to remove it with and then tie it (or glue?) to the chanter so you dont loose it.

Hope that it would give you some ideas on how to make them.

Have to take a photo of my 20-25 year old säckpipa (and bag) and upload here.
noordung

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I don't have much to show yet, as far as "säckpipas" are concerned. But I would like to share with you the images of my other instruments. Here are the photos of my Istrian bagpipe called "mišnica", "mih" or "meh". It's a droneless instrument with a double-bore chanter. This type of the instrument is played mostly in the Croatian part of the peninsula and there are past records of its use in some border areas in the Slovenian part and the close neighbouring area. It shares many similarities with other double-bore droneless bagpipes of the Mediterranean area, the Balkans, northern Africa, etc. In the picture below, it's the one with a bag.

The instrument beside it is a double chanter called "šurle". These days, it is mostly known and used as an instrument of its own (by blowing into it). On rare occasions, one can see it tied to a bag and played like a bagpipe. This kind of an instrument is called "piva".

The pictures below show the current stage of my "swedish bagpipping". It's a chanter I've made of a bamboo. The story is quite simple. I just took a piece of a bamboo and wanted to see if anything useful can be made of it. My tools were pretty primitive. Including a saw, drills and a sharp knife. My initial idea was to follow this path and make a complete set just of a bamboo, with a saw, a couple of drills and not much more. However, I think I'll just leave this experiment as it is for now and put my hands on a lathe to try to do it "the right way". The chanter - in its current state - already started to give me some satisfaction by learning and playing some tunes from the internet. But It isn't quite the real thing, though. There's a lot left to learn.

Black Rose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the G/D chanter and some custom drones are on the way.
Black Rose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drones being made.
Black Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one more set of pipes made to go with the sackpipa, by Bruce Childress for me.

Black Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: