Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using turpentine on blow-pipes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noordung

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Using turpentine on blow-pipes Reply with quote

I see that turpentine-linsen oil bath is a common finish used for wooden parts. But I find turpentine quite irritating to skin and not really pleasant to inhale and it actually doesn't seem a good idea to put it into ones mouth. Is it common to use the same turpentine treatment on blow pipes or is, perhaps, that some other finish is normally used for that part? The treated parts appear to be less irritating to skin after a few more days of drying, but I still don't like the idea of putting it into my mouth and chewing it out of the wood.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that most/all of the turpentine is gone when the finish has dried. The danger is for the one doing the finish.
Baglady

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowpipe mouth pieces aren't usually treated but you should try not to use your teeth on them anyway. Most people use a more hygienic plastic mouth piece these days. One thing you can do to keep your mouth piece and mouth in better shape is to put a sleeve of surgical tubing on your mouth piece to protect both.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or using a bit of horn from moose, elk, cow or something similary on top 5 cm of the mouth pices.

Not using the teeth is a good advice. I only someone have told me that way back when I stated, before I got that bad habit...
noordung

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anders Jackson wrote:
Or using a bit of horn from moose, elk, cow or something similary on top 5 cm of the mouth pices.

Interesting solution, though it adds some complexity to the whole process of making. When I was making a new mouthpiece for my mih, I just soaked it for a couple of days in edible linseed oil. It appears to work and it doesn't taste bad. The original was untreated, but it was boxwood anyway and all parts of the instrument have been given just external finish. Now I'm in a process of making myself a sackpipa and following the lineseed oil - turpentine instructions. But - as I said - I hate the idea of putting it in my mouth, even though it seems to loose its "teeth" during the drying period. I wanted to make sure that the treated wood does loose its toxicity when left enough time to dry, but I see that not treating the mouth part at all, makes sense in any case.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alban uses horn, don't know about oil.
Börs-Anders uses linseed oil and turpentine last I checked, and so did Eriksson (who have stoped making pipes).

They might have changed, but I guess Olle G. is better updated then me.

(this is from memory, so it might be something lost in translation)
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alban uses reindeer horn, yes.

The others don't have a separate end-piece and, as far as I know, they oil with linseed oil/turpentine all the way. I don't think it's a health problem.
noordung

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind answers and comments. I decided to make the mouthpiece of a separate piece of wood and treat it with linseed oil only. Just for a better feeling, I guess. Now, let's wait what the final result will look like...
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noordung wrote:
Thank you all for your kind answers and comments. I decided to make the mouthpiece of a separate piece of wood and treat it with linseed oil only. Just for a better feeling, I guess. Now, let's wait what the final result will look like...

Sounds good, and you can always later change that piece to some horn if you like.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: