Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another workshop at Nisswastämma, June 8, 9--2012

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you attend a piper's gathering in Minnesota, USA
Yes, I plan to attend.
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
I would not attend this event.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
I am undecided or have questions.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

nfadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Another workshop at Nisswastämma, June 8, 9--2012 Reply with quote

Hello,

For years we anticipated with relish the coming of Olle Gallmo to North America to conduct our first säckpipa workshop. As you are aware, that actually took place around this time last year, with novice and experienced pipers from around North America participating.

To build upon that momentum we are considering another piper's workshop in conjunction with the 13th annual Nisswastämma, held on June 8 & 9 in North Central Minnesota in the village of Nisswa. Here is the event's website: http://www.nisswastamman.org/

This stämma consists of Nordic musicians from around North America and some Nordic countries. It formally begins with a concert at a local church on the Friday evening before the big day in the park. After the concert everyone moves to a different location for a dance. Invited performers from the weekend schedule will play at both the church concert and the dance. To get highlights of the weekend look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K856n-Wsa5E. Saturday begins with a musicians parade through the village, marching while playing, to Pioneer Village Park, where the event is held. There is no admission charge for musicians. Invited groups perform on several stages around the park, while visitors and families eat, lounge or jam among themselves. There is a smorgasbord followed by another dance.

At this time Norden Folk would like to determine whether any of our NSAA members would be interested in attending a säckpipa workshop on The Friday before the event and remain to jam with other musicians through Sunday Noon when the "brunch" marks the conclusion of the event.

At this point there are no additional details available other than to say it would be an opportunity to do some creative piping and introduce your instruments to American musicians who have never seen or heard the säckpipa played. Of course you would also get to know some of the people you have met on the forum. Olle Gallmo has advised us he will not attend.

Jerry Revelle

Last edited by nfadmin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jerry says, I cannot attend this time. But I strongly suggest that you take this opportunity to meet each other, even if noone shows up from Sweden. Actually, that was the main idea of last years events as well - to give you a reason to converge, to meet each other. My presence may have been the means, but it was not the purpose. Swedish bagpiping in Sweden would not be what it is today if we did not have the Gagnef meetings in summer. They are very informal events and as such, very effective.
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually received an e-mail letting me know about this poll.
Unfortunately in my case the matter simply doesn't arise, much as I regret it. To travel there would involve considerably longer distances than it would to Olme.
Baglady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not check box next to the YES question but there are two yeses here.

Maybe we can make this our own Gagnef?
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Nisswastämma Piping Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out the poll structure error, Bag Lady. I have repaired it.

You have suggested attending Nisswa prepared with a list of string/pipe-friendly tunes we could play together with many of the other attendees playing violins and nyckleharpor. That's a good idea.

Allspel (everyone plays) can be very frustrating if you are in different area of Scandinavia where you do not know their local tunes. Perhaps we can prevail upon the more worldly pipers with experience in this area? The list should include a couple from each Nordic country. Most of the attending musicians will be playing tunes from Norway and Sweden. Harpers will play from Uppland. Suggestions anyone?
Baglady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tunes I have learned from my daughter's HFAA tune book are:

Leken Hass Steffa Henningsgard Pols

Kjeringa Med Staven

Anund's Reinlender

And from other sources:

Kom skal vi klippe sauen
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Tunes Reply with quote

Can you play these tunes on the säckpipa? Are those Norwegian children's tunes? I queried them on the web and YouTube and turned up nothing.

We'll probably have to go with some of the more standard (dance) tunes.

Olle, any suggestions for tunes which will span harps, fiddles and säckpipor?

Jerry
Baglady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-31HhVyXoOQ&feature=related
at 3:49

And here at 1:20 and 4:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcMf2SiDyaw

What is the name of the tune at 7:49 on this vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQjL_OBym4

I could post the Reinlender and I thought the two other tunes would be easy to learn quick.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tune at 7:49 is a Waltz called Vals efter Vardags Magnus, a tune from Dalsland which I learned from Alban Faust many years ago. It is not very well known though. The reason I could play it here with some other piper was that I had a workshop preceeding this event where this was one of the tunes I taught. It's a good fingering excercise.

As for tunes playable with fiddlers and nyckelharpas the main problem is the key. Most Swedish pipes are in A, which is not a very common key on other instruments (with regional exceptions of course). When I play with other instrumentalists I usually play my G-set.

Jag blåste i min pipa, Långdans från Sollerön, Visa från Östbjörka and Visa från Venjan are all fairly well known among other instrumentalists here. Of course, that does not mean that they are in the USA. All four tunes are beginner friendly though.
Baglady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olle for the info on the tune. You taught it at the workshop last year but I couldn't figure out the name from my recording.

Maybe we should have a free tune workshop for all instruments called Playing With Swedish Sackpipa on Friday that would just be getting together and working out some tunes we can play on Saturday. That could be advertised with the workshop posts on the web site. Then we could go jam in town and see if we can pick up more people later in the day.

Other then that I could post some vids on YouTube and you could get some other musicians to practice with the vids. Olle's vids can be used this way too.

In the end all of this does two things. It begins to create a group of tunes to be played in the American Scandinavian community and introduces the sackpipa as a viable all spell instrument instead of "Those noisy little things" that are interesting but not played in polite company. ; )

Another question we should ask is: What needs to happen at this weekend to make more NSAA members and players want to come?
Baglady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle Gällmo wrote:

As for tunes playable with fiddlers and nyckelharpas the main problem is the key. Most Swedish pipes are in A, which is not a very common key on other instruments (with regional exceptions of course). When I play with other instrumentalists I usually play my G-set.

Jag blåste i min pipa, Långdans från Sollerön, Visa från Östbjörka and Visa från Venjan are all fairly well known among other instrumentalists here. Of course, that does not mean that they are in the USA. All four tunes are beginner friendly though.

This is actually Baglady's old man. I'm trying to shut down the computer and noticed this thread hanging open here. The first thing I discovered about the standard E/A chanter is that it very coincidentally in modern times ended up pitched to play with Hardingfele. (Perhaps not so coincidentally...) If you play in D orientation your D is really E, and if the Hardingfele is playing in D, it's also really in E. You have to lose a high E (really F) in a tune like Anund's Rheinlander and wrap the odd high phrase down to the lower hand to fit the range in, but it's still musically pleasing and plays right along with anyone following on the Norwegian national instrument. And I say "following," because if you have a fairly loud reed you won't be hearing much of the fiddle. Likewise, if you play A orientation tunes both A's are really B. And if necessary, since range is a bit narrow on the chanter, you can move an A tune down to D (B down to E for academics, but remember, the chanter is always right no matter what the note really is mathematically and in most other pipes like Highland, NSP or Uilleann, the notes are called whatever they are called no matter what the modern or academic pitch really is--the name referring to a position on the chanter not some absolute world standard frequency) and the Hardingfele has but to drop down a string to play without modifying fingering or embellishment patterns.

Very handy for the Norwegian with a set of sackpipa and a daughter who owns a very expensive Hardingfele purchased with blood, sweat, and tears, when that money could have gone into more bagpipes instead. I actually prefer the sound of the standard pitch rather than the G/D sets even though you can get an extra note out of the chanter in G, which is handy too of course. But if I hadn't had to buy the Hardingfele I would have that G/D chanter as well. And more drones. And a bellows...and...
JP WNC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle Gällmo wrote:

When you play with other instrumentalists do you play the songs on the G-set with the same fingering that you would with the A set? That is, to let the different chanter change the key automatically while your fingers keep doing the same thing.

I think I'd be in a strange situation trying to play with other pipers as I've been learning songs with the fingering of the E/A chanter, but on a D/G so its all transposed two semitones lower.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I mean. You can play the same melody in any key with the same fingering, as long as you have the right chanter for it. G happens to be a much more common key than A among other instrumentalists in the region where I live, so that's what I do. Unfortunately C is a common key too. That's more tricky. It is possible to shift the fingering so that you play in G or D (major only) on an E/A chanter or in F or C on a D/G chanter, but that requires some practice.
jerry revelle
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: First update on Nisswastämma Reply with quote

Here is the latest from the organizer, Paul Wilson. There are multiple workshops on Friday, before the evening concert/dance.

Friday June 8
many Workshops!... daytime, all around the Nisswa area
Concert.. 7 pm Lutheran Church of the Cross
Dance... 9:30 American Legion Nisswa

Saturday, June 9
Stämma ... 10 am Pioneer Village
Smörgåsbord... 4:30 pm American Legion Nisswa
Dance .... 7:30 pm American Legion Nisswa

Sunday, June 10
Brunch ... 10 am Gull Lake Yacht Club

Notice some changes in venues again this year. Both dances will be back at the Legion club. The smörgåsbord will also be at the LEGION CLUB. That's right.. lots of stuff at the LEGION CLUB this year.

At this point, I am assuming that the folks that I usually contact for the 'lags' will be my contact people again? Could you please send me an email, letting me know that you will do it again and then I'll send you last year's spreadsheet for you to fill out and return to me.

For all of the solo/duo musicians and staffers, I am also assuming that you folks are all coming back. Pretty please? (Please let me know asap if you can't come this year). I'll be in touch in another email about filling out your 'stats' for this year. I think I might experiment with a google doc thing.. so you will just log into the spreadsheet online and enter your information. It will be an experiment. It will be private.. just visible to me and you folks.

More followed, here, about the Sunday Brunch, that is irrelevant to this forum for the time being (Jerry)
Black Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Scottish/Shetland fiddle tradition, A is called "God's Key." Or sometimes just the "Fiddle's Key." The same is true of the hardingfele, with the correction that they are really playing a note higher in academic terms.

The Scottish pipers, Highland, Lowland, smallpipers, et al, also favor A, with the exception that Highland pipers have yet to standardize and what they call "A" may range from Bb or flatter, to B.

The Irish favor D, with the correction that whether the chanter's bell note is actually a D, or a C or a C# or a B or even a Bb, they still call it D.

From the D oriented Irish/Scottish/Shetland fiddle or uilleann pipe scale, G comes easily, Em (actually E Dorian I think) and A major or minor comes not quite as easily if you are talking about whistles or uilleann pipes because of the higher pitch and the way the octave jump breaks up the scale, but it's otherwise built into the fingering scheme easily.

Where you get C and G as a common key is where you have a base of piano-based or accordion-based musicians, and God forbid, the heinous recorder-based institutional or academic musical instruction. It's also a great key for singer-songwriters who pick guitar along with.

What I'm saying, is that there is no inherent problem playing sackpipa in A/E with a fiddler if you're playing in A or Am. The problem appears when playing in E major, and then only in terms of playing a major third rather than the minor on a string you're not used to doing it on. That should take about five seconds to overcome, but here again, you have to work with a fiddler who is accommodating enough to at least move over a string and make perhaps one note adjustment, and sometimes that isn't as common to find as you would think. The fiddler has all the options and adjustments, the pipes are not so flexible in the matter.

If you're talking about keyboards, boxes and other instruments, it's a more difficult problem to solve.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A säckpipa is tuned with A at 440 Hz, or should. Smile

The tunes Olle sudgested are great beginners tunes, and Långdans från Sollerön is a great tune to dans to. Really easy steps.

The problems playing with fiddlers are they have to relearn fingerings, which some are willing to do, and other get frustrated and refuses to do. They should just play by ears and it will work.

I would go for Olles list for allspel, and the other are fun jam session tunes when you buskspelar.

But I will not be there, so just ignore my post if you hink its a bad ideal. Smile
favrepipes

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally know what my June schedule looks like. Unfortunately, my duties at the music school where I teach won't allow me to attend the pipers' meeting. It would have been a great occasion to meet you all but such it is. Have fun to all of you who can attend and do take pictures to share on the forum.
Black Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proud to say that I was the source of disrupting both a parade and a performance of lesser musicians at yet another musical venue with yet another type of bagpipes. What do you do when a very angry Viking comes out of a summer kitchen and threatens you with a spear? Just keep playing. You're on camera and you outweigh him anyway. What's he gonna do? The fiddlers he's managing in the cabin can continue when the video is over. It's only two minutes. They've got all day. You only have two minutes of it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: