Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazing Grace - Gunhild Carling

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Amazing Grace - Gunhild Carling Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My first post.
I've been reading through the wealth of information on this forum and wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed, I'm learning lots. Can't quite put it into practice yet, but I do have a set of sackpipa on order from Mr Hamon, which is very exciting.

Anyway I found this clip on youtube of Gunhild Carling playing Amazing Grace supposedly on Sackpipa? Its not very traditional, but it is a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-_eoAXw6U

But from the looks of the chanter she is playing i'm not sure it is a sackpipa. Anyone care to comment?

Phil
favrepipes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks to be a set of french cornemuse du centre minus the medium drone. I am in the process of making one of these and the chanter looks and sounds identical.
Phil D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah French okay. Rookie mistake! They sound great nonetheless.

Phil
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagpipes from central France have a drone in the same stock as the chanter and a bass drone over the shoulder. This has no parallell drone and the bass drone points forward. Looks German or Flemish to me.
favrepipes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle, you're probably right and I have to admit that I haven't explored Flemish or German pipes much. Just for the record though, I have seen bass drones pointing forward on some french pipes as shown here http://jeanblanchardb.free.fr/Cornemuses/Bechonnet_1871.html#0 . The similarity between the chanters is uncanny and I'd be curious to find out how they differ inside.
o_gaiteiro_do_chicago

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks and sounds like a single drone schäferpfeife. And based on the turning for the blowpipe and drone it's probably the work of Alban.
Iris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it is a Flemisch pipe. They have the drone forwards and it is also seen on old painting by Breugel, called Boerenbruiloft.
Nic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern flemish and french pipes have the same lenght and bore for a definite tonality, since the work of Remy Dubois and Bernard Blanc in the '70, so the distinction is only on the disposition and number of drones...(we could add to this the borderpipes of Jon Swayne)

My 2 cents Wink
Black Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this performance? Just glad I did.

If I hear Amazing Grace one more time on one more bagpipe I'll impale myself on my blowpipe and end the pain...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: