Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FS: Alban Faust Säckpipa in A/E

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
o_gaiteiro_do_chicago

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: FS: Alban Faust Säckpipa in A/E Reply with quote

I've basically hit a financial and personal train wreck in my life and need to move away from music and focus on priorities like getting a car, a place to live, and paying for college tuition. With that said all my instruments are for sale including a splendid Alban Faust säckpipa made just this year Sad It's a curly birch one with reindeer and blackwood mounts, key of E/A, low octave drone, tons of extra reeds. I'll try to take pictures and post them in a day or two, I do have a crude picture taken from my phone I can email or text to those interested. As for price I paid 10,500 SEK which worked out to about $1,700 including wire fees and all. Taking reasonable offers at this stage. The pipes are located here in Central Wisconsin where I'm living at the moment. I can probably take a bus to MN or IL if anyone around there is interested.
o_gaiteiro_do_chicago

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the pipes. I have some synthetic reeds and a bundle of cane too, can throw them if if the offer I get is reasonable enough.
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say it isn't so!
Baglady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been adopted into a good home and will be raised in a family of pipes and pipers where their heritage will be respected.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baglady wrote:
They have been adopted into a good home and will be raised in a family of pipes and pipers where their heritage will be respected.

That's a nice set Fern. Seth
Baglady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sweet! I've been enjoying them very much. That right had thumb hole is going to take a while though.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baglady wrote:
They are sweet! I've been enjoying them very much. That right had thumb hole is going to take a while though.

Yep, uncomfortable isn't it. I put that hole on the front of the chanter as a double hole. I've only had one customer that wanted it on the back and then they wished they would have had it on the front. Seth
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth, there are many tunes that would be very difficult to play if you make a double hole instead. I think you are the only pipe maker who chose to do that.

The thumb hole is only awkward in the beginning.You will get used to it.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle Gällmo wrote:
Seth, there are many tunes that would be very difficult to play if you make a double hole instead. I think you are the only pipe maker who chose to do that.

The thumb hole is only awkward in the beginning.You will get used to it.

I stole the idea from Boris Favre. It must be a North American thing. I just recently started adding the thumb or double G hole in the last year or so. I don't mind making it either way. The set I play, like the set on my homepage, has the double G hole and it's far enough apart that you can roll from one note to the next. I do agree that it's easier to Play a tune with G# and G-nat with a thumb hole, I've just yet to come across a tune that needed both, yet. I've thought about adding a G-nat key, its experiment time. Seth
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some tunes with both G and G#.
But I can't remember any names. It was during Falu Folk Music Festival (FFF) in Falun, Sweden when I attended a säckpipe course with Jan Winter and Bengt Sundberg as teachers. I think it was around 1990. Anyway, there Bengt played some tunes with both G and G#. It was the first time I saw that. Actually it was the first time I saw more than one Säckpipa played in the same place. Very Happy
We was quite a bounch of pipers in the conserts we played.

Jan, do you remember how many?

But that was back in 1990, I think, and my set didn't have that then.

Last edited by Anders Jackson on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
favrepipes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I stole the idea from Boris Favre. It must be a North American thing. I just recently started adding the thumb or double G hole in the last year or so. I don't mind making it either way. The set I play, like the set on my homepage, has the double G hole and it's far enough apart that you can roll from one note to the next. I do agree that it's easier to Play a tune with G# and G-nat with a thumb hole, I've just yet to come across a tune that needed both, yet. I've thought about adding a G-nat key, its experiment time. Seth

Actually, this was not my idea. One of my customers requested it because his right thumb was somewhat handicapped and he requested that I put the hole on the front of his chanter. He also wanted the key to be placed on the side. The side key feels quite natural actually and it is not a bad idea. All of my other chanters have the right thumb hole in the back.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunes which use both G and G# are fairly common. Of course you can play both notes with a double hole too, sliding up to G# from G, but if you come from above in the scale it's very difficult to hit the G# directly. In principle, that it is a problem for the C/C# double hole too, under the top hand middle finger, but there are fewer notes above you could come from to C#, so it's not as likely.
JP WNC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

favrepipes wrote:

Actually, this was not my idea. One of my customers requested it because his right thumb was somewhat handicapped and he requested that I put the hole on the front of his chanter. He also wanted the key to be placed on the side. The side key feels quite natural actually and it is not a bad idea. All of my other chanters have the right thumb hole in the back.

I believe you're talking about my set. It's not the thumb that's the problem...it's the head. I classically trained on the saxophone from about age 11 to 17, played a little recorder before that, played six-hole flute including tin whistle after that. None of those have a right-hand hole and the right thumb is actually the anchor on most of those - you move it and you drop your instrument. Even though I don't play it anymore I still think in saxophone fingering. It's like being mono-lingual until you're older and then learn another language...the new language is almost always filtered through the original language. Putting in the right hand hole would have gone against a decade and a half of playing similar hole-ridden tonal production tubes Smile

The set is a D/G, and the disputed notes are F#/F natural. I figured I'd never see them both in the same song and could cover one of the holes for F natural so that I could play in the key of C. So far I've never had an issue with that setup. Because of the freedom of the right hand and the double hole it can be halfed with little difficulty and will glissando with gusto.

G sharp...that one I wish I had a mulligan on. Flutes are pretty easy to half hole and I thought it wouldn't be a problem here - I was wrong. With the scallops, smaller holes, and bag restraining the freedom of the left hand, going for the half-hole is just about impossible. I still would not want a right hand hole - I would use a pinky key. There are actually four keys for the left hand pinky on the sax (two for the right). Playing A minor is fine, but A minor *harmonic*...it's a chore. Which is bad news since all of the music is written in the harmonic minor. "Woops." Live and learn. In particular learn how to transpose two semitones down and keep playing Smile

As for the side key, again on the sax there are three palm keys for the right hand and three palm keys for the left hand. They all flow naturally. This one would too...if it were just the smallest bit moved around towards the front. Because of the way the bag affects the way I hold the chanter it's just a smidgen off for me. This is a consequence of unfamiliarity with the instrument on my part and being 3,000 miles from where it was made. It worked fine for Bo so no red flags were raised, but my fingers and/or arms are likely smaller and he probably holds it a little differently so it's just the tiniest bit off for me. Just a small amount of a tweaking and an offset key would be like greased lightning.

Just to be totally clear I should state that it was the dumbass who ordered the pipes (me) that made these oversights in design. The biggest issue is G# which severely hampers my ability to play in A minor harmonic...but I just transpose and play in G minor harmonic as any D/G pipes would without that extension. Boris' craftsmanship is outstanding and I would recommend his work in a heartbeat.

James
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: