Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Norwegian "jockpipe" bagpipe?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: The Norwegian "jockpipe" bagpipe? Reply with quote

Since I'm already "that guy" bringing up weird, extinct, or possibly fictional Northern European bagpipes: has anyone ever heard tell of the Norwegian "jockpipe"?

A GoogleBooks search turns up a scattering of Victorian-era copy-pastas (popular even in that era, evidently) of the same passage describing various terms for the pipes, which mention a wide number of national variants, including Norwegian. Here, for example, is one from O'Neill's Irish Minstrels and Musicians:

Quote:
THE BAGPIPE, ITS ANTIQUITY AND DISTRIBUTION

In the minds of the English-speaking races of the present day, the bagpipe is invariably associated with scenes of Irish and Scottish life, yet the instrument in some shape or other turns up in every quarter of the globe. Omitting the various names by which it is referred to in scriptural times, we find that it was known in Persia as the nei aubana; in Egypt as the Zouhara; in Greece as the askaulos; and bv the Romans as the tibia utricularis. In Germany they had the sacpfeiffc and dud el-sac; in Italy the Zampogna, and the cornamusa; in France the musette and chalumeau. In Russia the bagpipe is termed volynska; in Spain, gheeyita; in Norway jockpipe; in Lapland walpipe; in Finland pilai; and in Wales pyban; differing but little from pipai the generic name for all kinds of bagpipes in Ireland and Scotland.

Anyone desiring to learn all about the origin and pedigree of the bagpipe in all its guises and developments among all races and in all ages from savage to civilized, should lose no time in consulting Grattan Flood's latest work, The Story of the Bagpipe.

O'Neill's is from 1913, but I'm seeing that middle paragraph pop up near-verbatim as early as 1882, and appears to be citing an even earlier work.

The walpipe and pilai of Lapland and Finland I've already written Wikipedia articles for, since I've found them attested in other early works, but reluctant to do so for "jockpipe" since I can only find this one mention (or those texts which are OCR'ed into GoogleBooks thus far), and have never in the slightest heard of such a thing before. Is this covered in Säckpipan i Norden?

EDIT: and a link to a 1999 Rootsweb post where someone mentions a Norwegian article: Sekkepipe og bondeharpe: en kort kildekritisk vurdering av instrumentenes
forekomst i eldre norsk folkemusikktradisjon
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard the name "jockpipe" before, but even if this was a Norwegian name for bagpipe, what does that prove? The occurence of a name for the instruments does not, to me, imply that the instrument existed in a native variant.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: