Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help translate/pics Wikipedia Säckpipespelare articles

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Help translate/pics Wikipedia Säckpipespelare articles Reply with quote

I've realised that sv.wikipedia has, not unexpectedly, pretty good coverage of a variety of Swedish folk musicians who aren't covered on the English Wikipedia.

Accordingly, I've translated a couple articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alban_Faust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olle_G%C3%A4llmo

I'm thinking it might be a fun project for some of us inclined to do some quicky translations of the bios of sackpipa and nyckelharpa players, of of Riksspelmän in general.

I myself don't speak Swedish (though about five other languages), but Swedish is structurally similar enough to English that GoogleTranslate gets you pretty dang close, enough so that you can polish it up and post it.

Do note that currently biographies on Wikipedia have to have some sort of footnote to a reputable published source (GoogleBooks, online magazines, and newspapers are fine, but not blogs or personal pages) to prove the "Notability" of a given figure. Accordingly, I'm sticking to translating the ones that have a link to some sort of reputable news article or book, or for whom I can find such material on Google.

If anyone else is interested in helping out, here are the categories I'm mining. I'd be happy to walk anyone through the basic process, and if you post links your rough articles here I'd be happy to post them. I'll also take a stab at translating some of these articles into Spanish and Portuguese, since both those sites have some decent bagpipe coverage.

Categories for mining

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:S%C3%A4ckpipespelare
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Riksspelm%C3%A4n
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Nyckelharpister

The language bar at the lower right of the page will tell you if an article already exists in other languages.

Let me know if anyone else is interested in spreading these materials into other language wikis.
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew, I tried to contact you on PM. Have a look.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not supposed to edit a Wikipedia article about myself, I guess, but I feel I do have a right to comment on it. So if someone else would consider doing something about the following I would appreciate it. All comments below except the first are valid also for the Swedish version.

Quote:
Gällmo plays both the traditional mouthblown single-drone sackpipa, as well as his own variant, featuring bellows and multiple drones.

1. It is suggested here that I invented the bellows blown version of Swedish bagpipes, which of course I did not. Alban Faust developed this variant 20 years ago or so, and he made mine as well. Of course, the bellows as such are no invention of his either - they have been around for at least 500 years on continental bagpipes - but Faust introduced them for Swedish bagpipes.

2. The article is clearly about me as a piper and musician. So why begin with a section on my academic career? In this context that should be a sidenote at most, not the first section you see.

Quote:
Gällmo also plays medieval and Renaissance music since 1997 and often attends the Medieval Week on Gotland.

3. I don't think that year is correct. I have played early music longer than that for sure, but I don't know for how long. And why mention the medieval week on Gotland? It's true I visit that festival often, but I visit many festivals regularly, so why mention this particular one? I would end the sentence after "music".

4. The first external link points to my bagpipe website which is of course not about me, so it can hardly be called my "official website". The second link points to the bagpipe website, but through the old address which still works, through a redirection, but I don't know for long. So I suggest that the first link is removed and the second is corrected.
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrections made per your input. Note that the English version was taken directly from the Swedish version, which may still need correcting.

Additionally, if you have any good photos of yourself playing that you wouldn't mind releasing to the Public Domain, I'd be happy to add them to the article.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first remark did not apply to the Swedish version, so that was probably a translation error. I brought up the other points with the Swedish wikipedia site, though, and they chose to fix everything except my second point.

This photo was taken by Per-Ulf Allmo in 2008 and he has given me permission to release it to public domain.

MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome photo! I've added it to both the English and Swedish wikis.

There isn't an exact equivalent of Public Domain on Wiki's massive list of legal statuses, but taking the spirit of the photographer's sharing I've assumed his intentions match up with Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported.

Under this license the picture may be shared, remixed, etc. but must be attributed to the originator and no other claims of endorsement or ownership may be made. So it gives max flexibility for interested parties to share and use the image, but keeps anyone from claiming it as their, and requires that Per be recognised as author/owner.

If there's any problem with that choice of license, I'd be happy to modify the coding.

Great looking photo, and really helps give a feel for the instrument and its players. If you happen to be chatting with any other Swedish musicians who have a bio up on Wiki and would like a photo added, I'd be happy to add those in any language.
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took 15min out and GoogleTranslated the article on Spilåpipa from the Swedish to English Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spil%C3%A5pipa

Had a few questions on areas where I'm not quite sure I have the translation cleaned up right:

Quote:
Den har [[modal stämning]] och många [[intervall]] är svävande, med andra ord är skalan inte ren i det moderna musikaliska systemets bemärkelse. Det finns också stora möjligheter för spelmannen att påverka intonationen.

I have: "It has a [[modal]] tuning, which is not necessarily compatible with much of modern Western music. The player is easily able to affect the intonation." But not quite sure that gets the full spirit.

Also, is "fäbodkulturen" translated as "mountain culture", "nomad culture", "shepherd culture" or what? I'm sure the GoogleTranslate isn't getting that one right.

If anyone has a pic of their Spilåpipa, it'd be great to add it for a visual, and I can add it to both the English and Swedish versions.
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
I think the translation of fäbodkulturen that you're looking for would be 'the pastoral culture'. That's still a little rough though. The type of pastoralism practiced in Scandinavia in the pre-industrial era was best described as 'transhumance', with livestock being driven to higher (and thus cooler) pastures during the summer months. Music played an important part in the herders' interaction with their animals.
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron K. Holt wrote:
Matt,
I think the translation of fäbodkulturen that you're looking for would be 'the pastoral culture'. That's still a little rough though. The type of pastoralism practiced in Scandinavia in the pre-industrial era was best described as 'transhumance', with livestock being driven to higher (and thus cooler) pastures during the summer months. Music played an important part in the herders' interaction with their animals.

Good call, I'll fix that word tonight. I think at that point I'm running out of Swedish instruments to translate. In which case I'll start working on sackpipa and nyckelharpa player biographies. English WP is stricter on sourcing for bios, but there are several Swedish articles where I can find books covering the musicians that I can cite/footnote to meet en.wiki requirements for new articles.

Might need to hit up Olle again to find out which living musicians are friendly and might be willing to release a public-domain photo of themselves for their articles. For Anders Norudde, I really wanted a pic of him playing sackpipa, but he wanted a photo of himself building a violin (he's also a noted luthier), so that's what we've got: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Norudde
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translated Eric Sahlström from Swedish Wikipedia and posted it on English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Sahlstr%C3%B6m

If anyone sees any translation errors or parts that just don't make sense, let me know. I was a little patchy on some of the awards.

The Swedish page had no references, which are required for en.wiki, but I dug up a few good citations on GoogleBooks. On the plus side, the article came with an awesome photograph:

Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That statue was made by Ingvar Jörpeland. He actually made two - the other one is still in his workshop where I have been in jam sessions many times with Ingvar and other musicians. Playing there, in the presence of the unmoving Sahlström, is a bit spooky.
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet it would be even more spooky if he did move.
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle (or any other Swedish speaker): did I mis-translate the part where I say "In 1968 he received the Swedish Local Heritage Federation's medal from Gustaf VI Adolf"?

Did he personally get it from Gustaf, or did the SLHF give him "the Gustav VI Medal"? If you need to see the Swedish version, other-language links are in the left-hand margin of each article.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did he personally get it from Gustaf, or did the SLHF give him "the Gustav VI Medal"?

The first. It was SLHF's medal, but it was handed out by the king, so I would write "from the hand of King Gustaf VI Adolf".

Another thing:

Quote:
In 1976 he was recognised for "artistic quality and importance for Swedish culture", as the first musician to receive that award."

It is not only an award. "Konstnärslön", as it says in the original text, is an income guarantee from the state, for life.
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle Gällmo wrote:
Another thing:

Quote:
In 1976 he was recognised for "artistic quality and importance for Swedish culture", as the first musician to receive that award."

It is not only an award. "Konstnärslön", as it says in the original text, is an income guarantee from the state, for life.

Ah... Google didn't know that word, so I had to go by context. So "pension" or "annuity" would be the best translation?

Thanks, it helps a lot to get more eyes on the article. I also went back and inserted my footnotes (half English, half Swedish) into the Swedish version of the article, just to make its referencing more thorough, so I think this is a reciprocally productive process.
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stipend" Is most likely the word you're looking for.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MatthewVanitas"]
Olle Gällmo wrote:
Ah... Google didn't know that word, so I had to go by context. So "pension" or "annuity" would be the best translation?

Thanks, it helps a lot to get more eyes on the article. I also went back and inserted my footnotes (half English, half Swedish) into the Swedish version of the article, just to make its referencing more thorough, so I think this is a reciprocally productive process.

"Konstnärslön" is built by two words, "Konstnär" which is Artist of fine arts(?), you usuallu think more like a Painter or Sculturer. Not like circus artist or "performer". "lön" means sallery.

It's (or was?) a life long sallery they got when the state hired them for life to do the thing that the do so well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: