Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vasa Bagpipes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Walstrom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Vasa Bagpipes Reply with quote

Hi, I was fortunate on my first trip to Sweden to meet up with Olle G. in Uppsala . We are lucky to have him leading this forum; wonderful guy and very helpful and knowledgeable. I also visited the Vasa Museum in Stockholm and took these photographs. Olle asked if I would share them on this forum. The museum houses the reconstructed Vasa ship that sunk in the Baltic on it's maiden voyage in 1628. It also has many items (some on loan from other museums) that depict life in Sweden in 1628. The sackpipa on display is on loan from the Stockholm Musicmuseet. I believe it is the same one pictured in Per-Ulf Allmo's book "Sackpipa i Norden" on page 431.

The large Sackpipa player carving (about 3 feet tall) was one of many wooden musician figures adorning an interior cabin, supposedly commisioned by the King because he liked music. It is also pictured in Allmo's book on page 65.
I was very surprised to run into these beautiful things, not knowing they were there on display.
Nic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! Thank's for posting this images, it is so rare to see early instruments, especialy bagpipes !
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the little drone's relationship to the big one? As in a fifth, octave, or any other?
By the way, is the bag original 17th century?
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small drone is blind (i.e. not drilled through). Just for show. This is the case for all preserved instruments that (seem to) have two drones.

Though the purpose of showing this instrument at the Vasa museum is to show Swedish life in the 17th century, I'm pretty sure it is a 19th century bagpipe.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle Gällmo wrote:
The small drone is blind (i.e. not drilled through). Just for show. This is the case for all preserved instruments that (seem to) have two drones.

Though the purpose of showing this instrument at the Vasa museum is to show Swedish life in the 17th century, I'm pretty sure it is a 19th century bagpipe.

Strange, I wonder why they bothered making a false drone, even just for show.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own theory is that some pipe makers tried to make instruments with two drones, but when they failed to solve the tuning problems they plugged one of them. And if you have a hole to plug you can just as well use a plug which looks like a drone, for show.
Quimbisero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: false drone theory Reply with quote

I haven't been around for a while - work tends to interfere with the important things in life from time to time, but I don't want to be booted either. I was expecting to see millions of posts. Well, maybe I didn't see millions, but a few interesting ones all the same.

Well, I felt like revisiting this old thread because I like to wonder about such matters. Anyway, wondering about the possible origins of the Sackpipa, it occurred to me that if the instrument was the result of some creative Swede imitating an instrument he saw somewhere else, perhaps the second drone was an attempt to imitate the appearance of the original model he remembered, but after making the first drone he said, enough of this, and chucked it. One drone makes you happy, two make you mad?

Eoghan
Eliott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a possibility. My personal theory is this: If you look at the size of the hole in the bag itself, the hole (most likely a natural hole from various parts of a sheep/goat's anatomy as many early pipes would've been made from) is a rather large hole. Now, in order to fill it, a wide block of wood could be used, with the extra wood beyond the hole in the bag just used for whatever aesthetic purposes the pipemaker wanted. So, rather than having an abnormally thick drone, making a false drone would fit in well aesthetically and be convenient enough to fit inside of the bag's hole.
JP WNC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we've entered a wild speculation phase I'll throw in my guess.

Drainage port.

Here's my reasoning: You have an instrument developed in cold times. Houses probably weren't heated well, people may have played outside, etc. When you play an instrument in cold weather you wind up with a LOT more condensation than when it's warm. This was always an amusement when I was in marching band towards the end of the season when it got stupid cold...how big of a lake would be at the bottom of my Sax when I stopped? Trumpet and trombone players would be hitting the "spit" valve like it was a note in the music. So what do you do on a bagpipe? Pull out the chanter? - might damage the reed. Pull out the drone? - reed damage again. Pull out the blowpipe? Might mess up the valve. Build a dedicated drain hole? Sure! Might as well integrate it into the drone stock and make it look good while you're at it.
pibgyrn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but when they failed to solve the tuning problems they plugged one of them

Olle are all historical examples Blind??
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
pibgyrn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many historic examples are there??
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13-15 or so, at least 7 of which have a blind extra drone.
pibgyrn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, more questions.

Are the stocks blind or could they take a non blind working drone?

Gerard
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are the stocks blind or could they take a non blind working drone?

Wow, that is a very good question! I never even considered it, so I don't know. This should be worth looking up. If the stock is also blind, it would give more credit to the theory that the extra drone is just for show. On the other hand, if the stock is functional it would give more credit to my own pet theory above which Eoghan rephrased so eloquently: "One drone makes you happy, two make you mad". (Sorry JP and Eliott, but I can't take your theories seriously. Occams razor strikes again! :-))

I just asked Per-Ulf Allmo (who of course examined all the known instruments when he wrote the book "Säckpipan i Norden", though that was a long time ago), but unfortunately he does not remember. It is quite possible that the museums would not allow him to pull out the blind drones to check. However, he has a large box of photographs since then which may be worth looking through.

If the photographs don't help, I could try to get access to some of the instruments to check myself, if they will allow me (I would not be surprised if they don't)

Thanks for asking!
pibgyrn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very interesting to find out, museums here are very keen to help you have access to historical instruments, especially as a maker/ researcher.

Blind stocks would suggest, that they are completely symbolic-

I see your point mentioned above about tuning two drones but I believe if you can make an instrument with a chanter and drone in tune you can make one with two drones in tune, but it does increase the madness..

Regards and thanks for replyng
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the drones in those days did not have tuning slides. They were all in one piece (as in the picture above). On top of that, they used Phragmites australis reeds - more sensitive to humidity than reeds made from Arundo donax. It must have been difficult just to keep one drone in tune.

Per-Ulf raised another possibility, that the blind drone is a fixed part (an outgrowth, if you will) of the stock, i.e. that they were carved in one piece and that the blind drone is not detachable at all. We'll see.
pibgyrn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point, some amount of tuning could be done with a bridle, but lets agree to differ.

If it is a fixed part that would be very interesting.

Thanks Again
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I was a bit disappointed to learn that the sackpipa at the Vasa museum may not be be a seventeenth century example as Olle suspects though I like it. Does anyone have pictures of any other examples of the sackpipa from centuries past? I would be delighted to see such images.
Thank you,
Jason
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to Sackpipa's that may show up in the future when this instrument becomes more commonly known across the world. No telling whats stashed in old estates, attics, etc. May not be many but their has to be a few. Some people may have parts with no bag and don't know what they have. Could be..... Seth
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're dreaming, a great find would be to encounter one of the three sets which emigrated, together with their owners, to America. It is known that at least three of the old pipers emigrated:

* Erik Persson, in 1868 to Boone, Iowa (with an associated tune - the first track on my CD)
    * Hol Brita Larsdotter, in 1868, to Cokato, Minnesota
    * Ör Anna Jonsdotter (Brita's mother), in 1880, presumably also to Cokato.

There is a small lake in Minnesota which is named after Brita's family - Skifstrom lake. There is another topic here on the forum about that (http://www.nordenfolk.org/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1240)
Black Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Cokato Reply with quote

It's a small world. I drive through Cokato every month or so.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: