Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To make a good blowpipe valve

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: To make a good blowpipe valve Reply with quote

Hi,

I wonder, what do you use to make good blowpipe valve ? I use a piece of leather but it is always dry and I have to oil it every week. Is there a technique you prefer ? Is a thing like "little mac valve" okay for sackpipa ?

Thank you !

Nic
Tex
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Little Mac and I love it.
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blowpipe stock is too narrow to be able to insert a Lille Mac there. It's a pity because it really is a very good valve. So I use rubber cap valves, like this one:

Mine is not attached directly to the blowpipe like that, however, since I have a water trap.

Last edited by Olle on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle Gällmo wrote:
My blowpipe stock is too narrow to be able to insert a Lille Mac there. It's a pity because it really is a very good valve. So I use rubber cap valves, like this one:

Mine is not attached directly to the blowpipe like that, however, since I have a water trap.

Olle, that is a cool idea. I used to use leather with the suede side towards the hole but this year I changed the design of my blowpipe stock so it would work with a little mac valve. That's all I use now.

Nic, you can get the silicone ones with the brass tab at any highland piper supply shop and they work very well. I think my buddy Boris uses them. Seth
Jim McGill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott of Scott's Highland Service (http://www.scottshighland.com/) who makes the Little Mac also makes a smaller valve, which he calls a "Rubber Blowpipe Valve" that works great on smaller blowpipes. I have one on my Thracian gajda. The clever thing about it is it is a "reverse" valve. Take a look at it on his site (under Accessories > Valves) and you'll see what I mean. Basically he got the physics right.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim McGill wrote:
Scott of Scott's Highland Service (http://www.scottshighland.com/) who makes the Little Mac also makes a smaller valve, which he calls a "Rubber Blowpipe Valve" that works great on smaller blowpipes. I have one on my Thracian gajda. The clever thing about it is it is a "reverse" valve. Take a look at it on his site (under Accessories > Valves) and you'll see what I mean. Basically he got the physics right.

I buy all my accessories wholesale from Scotts aka' Pipers Choice. I use the regular mac valve because its 3/4" o.d. which is a perfect fit in my stocks which are all 3/4". Seth
favrepipes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the little Mac on my last 2 sets. Works great. I also came across the moose valve here http://www.tartantown.com/maintenance_items.html . It's pricy but it sounds like a good performer based on the description.
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two different types of valve myself. The first is the kind Olle posted. The other one I made for my water-trap. At the end of the plastic hose that I connected to my blowpipe I inserted a little plastic "tube" that has very thick walls, I found it in the Plumbing department at my local hardware store, there were two of them in a little plastic bag labeled "spacers"...I have no clue what their intended use is. Then I cut a piece of bicycle inner-tube into the shape of my valve, and with a pair of tin-snips cut a bracket out of an Altoids container to use as a bracket. Then I lashed that to the spacer and inserted the whole thing into the end of the plastic hose. It's the best valve I've used so far.

I probably could have used a regular rubber valve like they sell on most GHB sites, but I really hate the idea of paying $12 for something I can make myself.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron K. Holt wrote:
I use two different types of valve myself. The first is the kind Olle posted. The other one I made for my water-trap. At the end of the plastic hose that I connected to my blowpipe I inserted a little plastic "tube" that has very thick walls, I found it in the Plumbing department at my local hardware store, there were two of them in a little plastic bag labeled "spacers"...I have no clue what their intended use is. Then I cut a piece of bicycle inner-tube into the shape of my valve, and with a pair of tin-snips cut a bracket out of an Altoids container to use as a bracket. Then I lashed that to the spacer and inserted the whole thing into the end of the plastic hose. It's the best valve I've used so far.

I probably could have used a regular rubber valve like they sell on most GHB sites, but I really hate the idea of paying $12 for something I can make myself.

I have found that the clack valves sold for highland bagipes don't work well in the Sackpipa. They work fine in my Highland and Uilleann pipes but they don't work very well in low pressure pipes. If your pipes are set up for low pressure the blowpipe will vibrate like a duck call. I use a similar valve made of leather that works perfect.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle Gällmo wrote:

This is how I am now making my blowpipe valves. It leaves plenty of room in a 3/4" stock to add a bushing which will enable me to install a water trap. Thanks so much for this idea. It also works well in other pipes as well and is much cheaper than the mac valves. Seth
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: