Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prelude to the Minneapolis workshops (see announcement)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Prelude to the Minneapolis workshops (see announcement) Reply with quote

EDIT: The courses and a concert have now been announced! Please help spread the word!

Dear friends,

Jerry Revelle has invited me to give a course or two in Minneapolis in March. We are still discussing details, but the the main idea is to give two courses on consecutive days in mid March. The weekend March 18-20 to be more precise.

1. A first level course for people who have never seen/tried the instrument. Seth Hamon will be there and provide instruments to loan or buy. The course will be very basic, focusing on *how* to play rather than on what.

2. A second level course for more experienced pipers, who may or may not bring their own instruments (Seth's instruments should be available too, for those who need). The exact content depends on the level of the students signing up, but my hope is that we can focus more on the music, on tunes and playing techniques rather than on the *very* basic stuff from the beginners' course.

The idea is to give these courses on two consecutive days but in the other order, i.e. the second level course first. This in the hope that some second level students might be able to stay to help out during the basic level course the following day. The beginners may require individual attention and I'm just one guy.

The first level course will probably attract enough interested people from local residents, but the question is how many second level students we could attract? Most students would have to travel, and it's not obvious to me how attractive this idea is to you.

So, how many would be interested to come to Minneapolis in March?

Course fees have yet to be decided, but the more people we can attract the cheaper it will get.

Olle

Last edited by Olle on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 6 times in total
frodemo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great initiative Very Happy
I want to go to Minneapolis. A great reason to cross the Atlantic Ocean, indeed, argh-argh
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the link to this thread over on the Dunsire forums. Seth
JoshCobb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I live here, so yes indeed! Where in Minneapolis will it be?
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshCobb wrote:
Well, I live here, so yes indeed! Where in Minneapolis will it be?

I believe it's going to be at the American Swedish Institute. Olle???

http://www.americanswedishinst.org/ASI/Home.html

Josh, you already have a set of pipes right??? I'm trying to get a feel for how many folks that are going to attend do not have instruments, since I'm going to rent instruments.
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite inclined to go; the only hitch would be if I take a new job overseas, but I don't expect that's likely before March.

I have an E/A mouthblown and a D/G bellows; can check to see if my E/A chanter fits my bellows set, or maybe order an extra E/A chanter, since I presume that will be they key of instruction.

Do you want me to see if I can also get the mods to post this planned event on the Alternative Pipers of North America blog?
favrepipes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great opportunity. I would love to come but I have to perform at the Vancouver Celtic festival on the friday 18th, something that I definitely can not get out of. I'll see if I can maybe catch you all late saturday or sunday on my way to France. It sounds a bit tight to realize but I'll try my best.
Boris
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="favrepipes"] I would love to come but I have to perform at the Vancouver Celtic festival

Are you playing Uilleann pipes at the festival? I still make UP's but I don't play them as much any more. They are quite hard on the hands. Seth
favrepipes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never reached the point where I felt ready to play the UP's for anyone but myself and friends. I'm a pianist by trade but I'm also a fairly solid bass player which is what I'll be playing at this festival. I toured throughout North America and Europe for nearly 10 years with a celtic-funk band called Mad Pudding and 3 of us former members are collaborating with some African and traditional Canadian folk musicians for what is billed as an Afro-Celtic fusion night. If I wasn't booked for this I would definitely make the trip to Minnesota.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

favrepipes wrote:
I've never reached the point where I felt ready to play the UP's for anyone but myself and friends.

Same here, these days. Ever since the carpal tunnel surgery, I can't play like I used to. These days, I play a more open legato style, because my right hand ring and pinkie fingers get stiff and all but lock up. Swedish pipes are the least hard on my hands, so I spend most of my time playing those. Scottish pipes don't give me too much trouble, except for the birl, which is done with the right hand pinkie. Seth
JoshCobb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have E/A pipes by Bengt Sundberg, and I'll bring them.
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any Swedish or Celtic music societies in the Twin Cities that need to be made aware of this, get the word out to their people? Maybe any professors of Scandinavian music at regional universities? Just trying to brainstorm some ways to drum up support.

I know sackpipa isn't Celtic, but I'd imagine there is (or would be if they'd heard of sackpipa) some significant overlap of interest.

I dunno, maybe contact some folks in the Early Music scene in the area too?

If any of the above things haven't been done yet, and Olle wants to delegate them out to folks so we're not tripping over each other, I'd be fine to take the college scene and EM scene stuff and check around for possible contacts to make. University of Minnesota, Minnesota State University - Mankato, and University of Washington all have Scandanavian Studies programs where there might be some interest.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewVanitas wrote:
Are there any Swedish or Celtic music societies in the Twin Cities that need to be made aware of this, get the word out to their people? Maybe any professors of Scandinavian music at regional universities? Just trying to brainstorm some ways to drum up support.

I know sackpipa isn't Celtic, but I'd imagine there is (or would be if they'd heard of sackpipa) some significant overlap of interest.

I dunno, maybe contact some folks in the Early Music scene in the area too?

If any of the above things haven't been done yet, and Olle wants to delegate them out to folks so we're not tripping over each other, I'd be fine to take the college scene and EM scene stuff and check around for possible contacts to make. University of Minnesota, Minnesota State University - Mankato, and University of Washington all have Scandanavian Studies programs where there might be some interest.

Go for it, We delegate all these areas to you, LOL, Seth
Tex
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. I will not be attending.
WeeNooke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would plan on attending.
I am most interested in getting my pipes (reeds) to play in tune with the rest of the world.
But working on tunes and hands on, in person workshops sounds great.
I'll post any announcements to the SCAND Yahoo group.
Tim
WeeNooke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The March 18-20 weekend is also the Norwegian Music and Dance Weekend at Folklore Village in Wisconsin http://folklorevillage.org/t2/calendar.
I'm not sure if there would be any participant overlap.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeeNooke wrote:
The March 18-20 weekend is also the Norwegian Music and Dance Weekend at Folklore Village in Wisconsin http://folklorevillage.org/t2/calendar.
I'm not sure if there would be any participant overlap.

Yikes, I hope we don't loose any participants to this event. Seth

Wee, what make and key of pipes do you play????
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though we still have to decide details like exact dates and times, and prices, for this event, we are committed to do this now. I have booked the tickets to Minneapolis, so I will be there! Smile
WeeNooke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of Börs Anders Öhman pipes I bought used through a friend in Sweden.
It's droning around D#. I'm not very patient when it's come to set up. I use it for demonstrations at performances of the Chicago Spelmanslag (and my own entertainment) so I've never worried too much about getting it to play well with others. Every time I've worked on bringing it it tune (A=440) it won't play at all.
Yes, it would be great to play in tune. One of our favorite tunes to perform is Säckpipslåt Från Norra Råda, it would be fun to use the bagpipe for it!
MatthewVanitas
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle: no joke, just give the word and the (more or less) fixed details (preferably with some advert on a page of your site or something), and I'll happily spend a couple hours emailing the Scandinavian Studies departments of the 6-7 US universities which have such. Most of those are within a couple hours' drive of the Twin Cities, so it's not at all unlikely that if I spread the word to those departments we might get a couple extra students.

I just need something credible to send to professors, so just waiting on semi-arranged details/dates, and ideally some kind of advert on Olle's site so that it's not just my word, but a link on the page of the main online sackpipa expert.
Aaron K. Holt
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in.
JoshCobb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, so that you know, I may not be able to make the Saturday, as my son and I have Kung Fu class on that day from 12 - 1.
Tex
Senior User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited the original post to state that the courses and one concert have now been announced!

March 18, 8.30am-4.30pm: Advanced workshop
March 19, 8.30am-4.30pm: Beginner's workshop
March 19, 7.30pm: Concert and dance

See the course announcement page for details and conditions.

And please help spread the word!

I'm really looking forward to this great opportunity to meet many of you for the first time, after all these years!

Olle
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!!!!!!! I have just emailed this information to 49 of my customers. Seth
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank Jerry, Norden Folk and ASI for giving me this opportunity to come over! I have been in very frequent contact with bagpiping friends in America, over Email, News, Forums, MySpace and whatnot, for almost 20 years but I have met very few IRL. So I'm really looking forward to seeing at least some of you!

Now, I just need to remember to bring my own coffee. As Jerry use to say, you can read a newspaper through a glass of the American beverage by the same name!
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olle Gällmo wrote:
glass of the American beverage by the same name!

Starbucks!!!!!!
Olle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has been closed to avoid double posting. There is now an Announcement topic on this workshop.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: