Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I broke my reed

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamlet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: I broke my reed Reply with quote

My first post here. I've been playing the sackpipa for a while, and since I am having some serious problems in my life at the moment, I feel like the sackpipa is my very best friend, and then the drone reed broke. It is sipmply not the same kind of therapy without the drone, so if anyone know where to get a new reed, or have one they could spare, I would really appreciate it. It is an a/e set made by leif eriksson.

Greetings from Copenhagen, Denmark.
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get reeds directly from Leif himself. Also, you can experiment with making your own reeds from tubing with a variety of materials for making tongues.

How did you break your reed? If you broke the tongue then you can glue it back on and the reed will be good as new. Seth
Hamlet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and thanks for the reply. I have emailed Leif about new reeds. The reed had expanded because of humidty, and broke in two pieces, when I tried to pull it out of the drone. It broke in a way, so it can't be repaired. I have tried.

I will have to learn how to make reeds sooner or later, I know. Has anyone ever experimented with reeds made from elder, by the way?

With bagpipes, there are always some new problems to be solved, but it is worth it. I love the sackpipa. Such a simple bagpipe, and yet such a lovely sound.

/Kaare Danielsen
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc226/Yuri-photos/CIMG0003.jpg
You can try this. While this reed wasn't made for a sackpipa, it's for a related type bagpipe. I find that composite reeds are far more manageable, as you can replace the tonge without much problem. The tongue, by the way is a cut-down clarinet reed, without any scraping added. (I think. There might have been some scraping, but most of the time I don't need any.)
The body of this one was turned on a lathe, but it can easily be made simply with a knife and a bit of patience. (and a drill bit first, of course.)
Hamlet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Leif has not answered my email. I have emailed Bors Anders Ohman too, but he has not answered either.

As I have many problems at the moment, I dont really have the time to learn how to make reeds, right now.

Does anyone here have a reed that will fit erikssons sackpipa, they want to sell? I'll pay a good price.

Or does anyone know other sources for reeds?
Hamlet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved. I'll get new reeds from Boris Favre in canada. That is some distance for reeds only, but i'm happy i'll be able to play with drone while it's still summer.

I'm renovating my appartment at the moment, so everything is a mess,
but once I have finished the renovation, I'll start experimenting with making reeds.

I have even spotted pragmites australis growing wild in the lakes here in Copenhagen, so at least I'll have the raw cane for free ...

/Kaare
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you harvest the canes, they should be dry.
(I usually harvest in may, june. But by tradition, you should harvest in mars-april, when the canes still are in the ice)

Put the cane between index and thumb and push hard (just fingers). If it doesn't brake it's good. Otherwise it would be bad anyway.
Store the harvest canes in a dry place, and start experiment. Olle Gällmo has an page about making reeds.
Hamlet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested a number of canes, the way you explained, and found only a few that didn't break. I haven't harvested any yet, but I did get some funny looks from people passing by.

I think that the reason why they are so fragile, could be due to the enviroment being too fertile, so that the canes are growing too fast.

My goal however is reeds made from elder, and since elder is common in the parks in Copenhagen, i'll have the raw material for those experiments too.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the reeds isn't dry enough, and that they might have been moist during a longer period. Then they wouldn't hold the pressure either Smile

I usually pick reed that are have been on dry land for a while, with no contact with the water. But that is because I took them so late.

But anyway. Experiment, and you will get good reed. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: