Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between a sackpipa and a gaida chanter?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Difference between a sackpipa and a gaida chanter? Reply with quote

I have been thinking about trying to make a Thracian Gaida and was wondering what the differences between the gaida and the sackpipa are? They seem to be pretty similar on many points such as the single reed and the straight bore and that the major differences would be bore width and the flea hole. Since there are many plans for sackpipa chanters, would it be hard or easy to modify one so as to approximate a gaida chanter?
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between a sackpipa and a gaida chanter? Reply with quote

Simski wrote:
I have been thinking about trying to make a Thracian Gaida and was wondering what the differences between the gaida and the sackpipa are? They seem to be pretty similar on many points such as the single reed and the straight bore and that the major differences would be bore width and the flea hole. Since there are many plans for sackpipa chanters, would it be hard or easy to modify one so as to approximate a gaida chanter?

I looked the Thracian Gaida up on Google and it seems to be pretty much the same instrument as the Bulgarian Gaida. I have plans for the Bulgarian Gaida and the bore is tapered bore, not straight. Seth
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth, most gajda chanters have straight bores. There is a regional variant that is tapered, while identical in all playing-related ways, but it is not very common. Just louder.
Back to the topic. Sakpipa bores are narrower than gajdas'. The former typically around 6mm, the latter 8mm. Gajdas also invariably have a fleahole, which is a separate topic altogether.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuri wrote:
Seth, most gajda chanters have straight bores. There is a regional variant that is tapered, while identical in all playing-related ways, but it is not very common. Just louder.
Back to the topic. Sakpipa bores are narrower than gajdas'. The former typically around 6mm, the latter 8mm. Gajdas also invariably have a fleahole, which is a separate topic altogether.

Without knowing, I would guess the fingering holes are wider on a Säckpipa then on a Gaida.
Jim McGill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: gajda vs sacpipa profiles Reply with quote

I play both Thracian gajda and sacpipa, measured a bunch of gajdas and have made chanters for both. The chanters have almost nothing in common. Sacpipa has a straight bore. Gajda have a step tapered bore. Gajdas have a flea hole (little hole at the top with a short tube under it) that gives you half steps in the upper (commonly left) hand. The only thing sacpipa and gajda really have in common is the reeds are single and fairly similar, though there are differences.

Rhodope gajdas have a reverse tapered bore. I've never made one but I've seen x-rays.
Simski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim, do you perhaps have any measurements I could copy to make a chanter?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: