Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
Jerry Revelle in memoriam

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pipemaking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Nice pipes. They look like they've been turned, haven't they?
I was aware of the site, but unfortunately don't speak German. I wish there was a site like that in English. The problem with just about all English sites is that none of them have a broad approach to pipes in general, they all concentrate on one or two types only. But then, I live in a city settled originally by the Scottish. (Dunedin is the name, that's the old name of Edinburgh.) Well, it shows. By last count there are 7591 highland pipe players, 52 smallpipe players, 1 Northumbrian smallpipe player (recently arrived), and that is that.
(OK, I'm making the numbers up, but it is true about the NSP, and not all that far off the mark with the others.)
Oh, forgot. There is one guy here, on sabbatical at the varsity from Slovakia for a couple of years, who plays Slovakian pipes. That's a first in Dunedin's history, and when he goes back, it will also be the last.
Chrischan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yuri

For the first one i didn`t use a lathe. Every part ist carved with a knive and sanded many times. The "rings", too.
I used the very old lathe of my grandpa to build the stocks for the second one. They are made of nut!
Since last week i can call myself a owner of a lathe. Yippeee!!! The first chanter is ready!

The forum is great. I have lerned a lot there a you can get a lot of tips.
BUT unfortunately its in german, so a lot of great sparetime pipemakers can´t engage to the topics. Okay! My english is not the best and i needed half an our to write this few sentences Embarassed , but I think we can communicate (hope so)
Wink
texasbagpiper
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pipes, I like the bellows setup. I may try that sometime. Seth
Whisteul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, where could I find turning tools, such as long hole boring tools/Shell Auger (but larger than 10) ?
And which tools may I use when the bore of the bagpipe is conical ?

Regards,
Whisteul.
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commercial boring tools are rare, very expensive and totally unnecessary.
If you register on the makinganplayingbagpipes.theiforum.com referred to above, there are a lot of discussions about just the things you are asking about.
For the record, if you own a lathe with a 3-point chuck, you need to spend just something in the region of a few dozen dollars for th materials out of which you can make your own tools. Instead of the thousands (no kidding) if you use off-the shelf ones. The reamers for the chanters can't be bought, anyway, they have to be custom made in any case.
Anders Jackson
Senior User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisteul wrote:
By the way, where could I find turning tools, such as long hole boring tools/Shell Auger (but larger than 10) ?
And which tools may I use when the bore of the bagpipe is conical ?

Regards,
Whisteul.

An canon drill (kanonborr) to drill pipes can be done by a long steel rod(?) with propper diameter (8mm ?), that you remove half of the material along one side, so it will form a half circle if you look at it from the tip. If the tip is sharp enough and center of the previous circle, it will drill straight.
It will not be fast, but it will work (if you manage to make a drill from my description Very Happy)
Chrischan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Whisteul,

The most important is the pilotbore. You can make such drill by yourself, such as Anders wrote. But in my opinion, its not easy so find the right angels. The best material is silversteel. The following picture Typ 3 shows the geometrie of such a drill!

For example: The drill diameter is 4mm. So the lip has to be 2,1mm strong or high (I don`t find the right word, sorry). Always a bit more than the diameter.

Typ 4 shows a profeissional deephole drill. here in Germany are some companies who sell such drills (like: Gühring, Botek,...) They are made for steelwork and you can get different diameters. They have a second bore were you can put on a compressor which blows away the shavings, but without it works well, too. I bought one for 12€ a month ago.
greetings
Whisteul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

As I'm living in Germany for my studies, could you give me the names of these companies ?

Danke, MfG,

Whisteul.
Yuri
Senior User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 4mm bit for all my long drilling as a pilot hole maker. The profile is similar to type 3, except the tip is not simply skewed diagonally, but more like in 1 or 2, except it is off-centre, the shorter part being on the left. Imagine type 3 having its tip taken off on the right side of th picture to maybe 1/3 of the total width. The straight ones work better in metal, the ones I use in wood.
And another important point is the speed. For some reason the handbooks always talk about slow speeds when boring. I found after a lot of struggling with slow speeds that higher speeds invariably produce better centering. The problem is heat. What I do is dip the bit in raw liseed oil/turps mixture every stroke. It cools the bit as well as making the drilling smoother.
favrepipes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm clearing out some extra tools that I don't find myself using much. One of these is a 9/32" gun drill that is suitable for drilling sackpipa bores. Email me if you're interested. I have other musical and instrument-making stuff that I would be open to trade for a french bagpipe chanter or set.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) Forum Index -> Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: